Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Machine - Which One? >

New Machine - Which One?

New Machine - Which One?

Old 04-03-2017, 06:48 AM

singer was a Great machine....key word WAS. Now I would stick with Bernina. I have had a Bernina machine since about 1980 still going Great.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

Have all you that posted how bad the high end Singers are today actually own one? My Singer Quantum sews beautifully. I haven't had any problems at all with it. I have a Bernina and Janome so I have comparison. Not much difference from all three that I can tell, they all three sew just fine. Don't stress over the brand.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:34 AM

The closest sewing machine dealers to me are all at least 1 1/2 hours away but I think it would be in my best interest to make the trip and check them out in person. I want to get the best machine I can buy within a preferred maximum price of $500-$600.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Everyone is going to have their favorite brand - you really just have to sew on some machines to see what you like. Personally, I am feature driven - must have needle down, knee lift. Next in line is threader, and thread cutter. If you are going for a new machine, then lighting can make a big difference. I have a recent model big fancy Babylock, a small Brother combo & Juki straight stitich, plus an old Bernina. They are all good machines and do what they are supposed to do. I will say that they are all dealer purchased, so not the low end discount store models. I won't dis those, because many people have bought and loved their Walmart/Costco Brothers.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Before you drive the hour plus to the stores, find out what models they carry in the store that you can test.
with the features you want/need. Then do some online comparisons. The idea of taking someone with you for test drive is great on more than one level. Once you have done all that, decide to buy it at store/non-line. My personal preference is to go to a small shop to help keep them in business, but that is just me. Once you have your new machine, enjoy many hours creating.
Mike
Old 04-04-2017, 04:34 PM

I will throw in my two cents... I think a Janome or a Babylock are both good machines.. If you are just starting. I wouldn't spend lots of money on one... two features are a quarter inch foot and a walking foot that would be helpful..also most places where you buy will give you lessons and that is very helpful.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 PM

Personally, I wouldn't buy any NEW Singer but would willingly buy an old Singer. If you don't have an unlimited budget, even the low end Brother and Janome have a good reputation.