Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which hand applique technique when? >

Which hand applique technique when?

Which hand applique technique when?

Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 PM

Default Which hand applique technique when?

I want to do some hand applique but I don't know which technique to use when. How do you choose to do needle turn, steam a seam, freezer paper, glue basting or another technique? I don't want to do any machine stitching or raw edge. Maybe someone can recommend a good book / you-tube / website or tutorial? I like using a light box but I hate to draw the image "backwards".....I always get it wrong! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:22 PM

I think you need to try more than one technique to know which one works for you. There are many you tube tutorials. A google search will lead you to them. I ended up liking the back basting method best after trying several.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 PM

I've do needle turn. I love it, so don't feel the need to try another method. I love the simplicity of it, no additional steps (starch, freezer paper, basting, glue, etc.). For needle turn, I think the Piece 'O Cake ladies are great. If you google Piece 'O Cake, you're bound to find some tutorials.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:20 AM
Power Poster

I agree with Genden. ALso depends on my mood.
Originally Posted by Genden View Post
I think you need to try more than one technique to know which one works for you. There are many you tube tutorials. A google search will lead you to them. I ended up liking the back basting method best after trying several.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:10 AM

I use sewer paper (available at Home Depot)on the back of my pieces. I machine stitch it to the back and then turn and press it. I love the extra depth I get.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

And I like the freezer paper on the back method combined with needle turn because I like the extra stability the freezer paper gives me when turning the seam allowance under. When I need to reverse the pattern I trace it then put the tracing on my light box upside down. I cut my background fabric after the applique is done to remove the freezer paper. I am by no means an expert at applique. I have only started dipping my toes in so have only done fairly simple shapes. I am eons away from the expertise of a Baltimore album type quilt or LBB.

I decided I like this way after trying a couple of methods (but I haven't tried back basting yet). I am still waiting to try my Appliquick which is a method of preparing the applique shapes in advance.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:25 AM

I personally love needleturn. I have the most control of the outcome with that because I am manipulating the fabric as I sew. I also love that the stitches are virtually invisible & that I am working with nothing but cotton fabric; it produces a very soft quilt. However, it is one of the longest, slowest methods for applique.

For a quick quilt, I like fusible (with windowing). I also use fusible with wool/felt applique; I think it looks adorable & it is the only way other than if I base the felt applique down before stitching, that I can work with felt. I've done fusible with cotton as well. It does cause the edge to fray slightly (how much it frays is determined by the length/width of your stitch; the longer & wider your stitch, the more it will fray), but with a matching thread I can get perfectly crisp corners & it's still hard to see from more than a couple feet away.

I've also done the freezer paper method. It does produce crisp edges, but it's personally my least favorite method. You get the results of needleturn without having to mark your fabric. I don't mind marking my designs on my fabric (background & applique pieces). In addition, when I have a tricky piece -- like a circle -- I use mylar template plastic to press it. It's reusable (either as is, or cut down to a different shape) and is not as prone to causing stretching on the edges as what can happen if you remove the freezer paper before stitching (some people leave the freezer paper in their quilt; some cut through the background fabric to remove it after stitching; still others remove it as soon as the piece is pressed & had a chance to cool to room temperature).

There really isn't a right or wrong way to stitch anything. There are award winning quilts that were stitched raw edge with a straight stitch. It really is up to your personal taste & preferences as to which one(s) you use when. I would encourage you to experiment with the different types & see which one(s) you like.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:40 PM

I love needle turn as others have mentioned but I am not afraid to use other techniques. I have a current project with some applique blocks scattered among pieced. I have used a combination of methods depending on what shape i am working with. I had to make block with several leaves of the various shapes but multiples of each so I opted to use starch with a non-melt template. I made flowers with glue stick and stabilizer then glue basted to the back ground. I had some other flowers it was easy to do needle turn. It really depended on what method gave me the best results for the shape I was creating. Finding the easiest way to make the hardest shapes is my guide.
Old 04-08-2017, 04:46 PM

It's not really a question of "this type of quilt uses that method of applique". It's more about your personal preferences and what method you're most comfortable with. I've tried every kind and my preferred method for hand applique is using heat-resistant Templar plastic and spray starch. It's a modified freezer paper method, but I find the Templar lasts a lot longer than freezer paper.