Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions on backing quilt. >

Need opinions on backing quilt.

Need opinions on backing quilt.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 AM

Default Need opinions on backing quilt.

I'm considering putting a lap quilt together using just the quilt top and Blizzard fleece with no batting. I think it would still be warm but without as much bulk. Has anyone done this? Did you like the result? How difficult was it to run the fleece backing through the home sewing machine? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:04 AM

I have done several baby quilts and some lap quilts using just fleece, no batting. I tried some quilting and then binding and was happier using the "birthing method" by sewing the two pieces together, leaving an opening and turning right sides out. Then stitching about 3/4" from edge (catching the turned opening) and then quilting. No problems with the fleece.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:07 AM

I've not made a quilt with fleece but have sewed with it and found it's best to always use a walking foot as otherwise it tends to move around as you sew.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:16 AM

I have used fleece backing on several quilts (but use batting too) and never had a problem. I do all my quilting on a regular home machine, but I also QAYG, and tend towards minimum required quilting since that part is not my favorite (quite possibly b/c I don't do it well). I have used regular foot, walking foodt and free motion foot depending on what I was doing and all 3 have worked, but the walking foot was easiest.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 AM

Oh and meant to add I have bound all of them w/ binding w/o any problems at all. But I sew my binding on the back fold to the front and machine sew to finish from the front.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

i just got back from quilting bee and we were discussing this very thing. just make sure the fleece is non-pill
Old 04-25-2017, 11:32 AM

One of my earliest quilts was made this way, before I was informed by the All Knowing P.I.T.A. Quilt Police that is was a violation of some ridiculous and imaginary rule. It turned out quite nice and is my son's favorite quilt. It's warmer than his other quilt, which is flannel with W&N batting and muslin backing. The polar fleece is lightweight but warm, and drapes around him better. I had no problems at all quilting it on small, inexpensive Brother. I say go for it!
Old 04-25-2017, 11:42 AM

I made a Grinch quilt for myself, and a blue and black quilt for my son this way. I was able to do my quilting about 10" apart and they are holding up well. I used a walking foot, and was able to avoid puckers (they were my first machine-quilted quilts). I did a binding, and machine sewed it to the back (the fleece), then hand stitched to the front. I'm sure I'll make more like them, they are so cozy and fast to put together.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure it would work. To me, fleece feels odd and touching it almost makes me sick to my stomach. Isn't that weird?

How are you planning to quilt it? Fleece is pretty flexible.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:45 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I made my first fleece-backed quilt quite some time ago. Had never seen it; was just feeling lazy. A couple of thoughts:

Fleece backed quilts are very warm. As a non natural fabric, fleece does not breathe.
Pin thoroughly or spray baste; fleece stretches in one direction.
Be sure to use a walking foot.
Binding will work just fine, but sew it on the back first, then machine or hand stitch it from the front.