Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding with double fold bias >

binding with double fold bias

binding with double fold bias

Old 05-31-2017, 12:21 PM

Default binding with double fold bias

I always make my own 2 1/2 inch (cut) binding for the finishing touch of my quilts. However, I have agreed to apply the binding to a quilt for a friend and she has sent me Wrights, Double fold Bias quilt binding. It is 3 1/2 inch (cut) which finished to 7/8 inch. I must admit I have no idea how to apply it to the quilt sandwich. I keep playing with it and it seems that I should open up the binding,lay it on the top the the quilt and stitch in the first pressed fold.; which would work on the straight edges, but what do I do when I get to a corner. I could really use some suggestions or better yet, some pictures showing me how to do this.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:01 PM
bj

I bought some of the double fold bias binding for a small project (a round table topper) and had never cut bias binding. I ended up pressing it flat, folding it in half, and attaching it like always. I was concerned that the edge would be weak where the double fold met in the center. I was quite pleased with the results.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Years ago I use to use it for my quilts. I got quilt books to teach me how to make my own. I never make bias binding, always cut strips WOF. Works great for me.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:14 PM
Power Poster

Don't laugh. I do not know what bias is. I cut my binding 1 1/2 the length of the fabric before cutting anything else. Many of my quilts are either wall hangings or gently used lap sized. My sister and I feel it's a waste of fabric to go any wider.

I realize this is not a suggestion to your question. Sorry about that.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:29 PM

We have only used that type of binding twice, and it's been a while. I do remember that we started by opening the binding and sewing into the fold. I don't remember exactly how we did the corners, but they must not have been too hard, because we were able to get it done. Maybe try basting it onto your quilt and playing with it before you sew it down for real.

Ok I went and found a YouTube video that shows how to do it. It's just like regular binding.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPakMj6XPUY
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 PM

I use it a lot on baby charity quilts.....get it at walmart or ja. since you have the you tube, I wont explain.....just enjoy.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:30 PM
Power Poster

It's hideous stuff. I was in Tenn. during their "200 mile long yard sale" one August, which spanned across the state. I stopped at someone's booth that had otherwise beautiful quilts, but they had used that ugly tape to bind every single one! It just ruined the quilts.

I would make some nice binding for the quilt and send the binding tape back to the lady who gave it to you. Just tell her you couldn't bear to use it!

Ask yourself this: Have you ever seen it on a quilt in a quilt show? Me neither.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
It's hideous stuff. I was in Tenn. during their "200 mile long yard sale" one August, which spanned across the state. I stopped at someone's booth that had otherwise beautiful quilts, but they had used that ugly tape to bind every single one! It just ruined the quilts.

I would make some nice binding for the quilt and send the binding tape back to the lady who gave it to you. Just tell her you couldn't bear to use it!

Ask yourself this: Have you ever seen it on a quilt in a quilt show? Me neither.
Definitely have never seen it on a show quilt. I have never used it on my quilts. But my friend wants it on her quilt, it is an exact color match for her quilt and will go very nicely with her bedroom.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by wesing View Post
We have only used that type of binding twice, and it's been a while. I do remember that we started by opening the binding and sewing into the fold. I don't remember exactly how we did the corners, but they must not have been too hard, because we were able to get it done. Maybe try basting it onto your quilt and playing with it before you sew it down for real.

Ok I went and found a YouTube video that shows how to do it. It's just like regular binding.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aPakMj6XPUY
I went to youtube last night, but could not make out what they were doing.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:14 AM

I want to thank all who took the time to try to help me. After I got over my "duh" moment, I played with the wide binding this morning and lo and behold it will work perfectly to apply it just as I do my more narrow binding that I make myself. Don't know why I sometimes make things harder than they actually are. Quilt is quilted and I will now settle down and stitch the binding on (as I normally do).