Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Insecticides in Fabric >

Insecticides in Fabric

Insecticides in Fabric

Old 06-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Insecticides in Fabric

I have always heard that fabric we buy has been treated with insecticides because of its transport into the country from overseas. Most batting, on the other hand, is made in the U.S. and not treated with insecticides. I have never found a dead bug in a bolt of fabric, but I have seen one or two in batting.

If fabric is treated with insecticides, how long can a person reasonably expect the treatment to be effective? Or is it the container that is sprayed and not the fabric?

I wash my fabric, some as it comes in the door, and some just before I use it. I assume I am washing away the insecticide, so any factory or transport protection would be compromised or lost completely.

I am very interested in facts on this subject.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:54 PM

I think this is a good subject to explore as well.

I suspect imported fabric is treated with stuff "not legal/used" here, like our food. I never had a problem with fabric until a few years ago, when imports were flooding in, and I started getting itchy skin. That's when I started washing it in hot soapy water. I even wash scraps I'm given IF the person hasn't already washed the fabric. Can't be too safe.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Recent post has not shown correctly, so will try again.http://www.greenhomeguide.com/askapr...rick-question/
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

it's best for me to wash everything... too many allergies
Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 PM

Re above post: put fabric into the search box, and question 7 may possibly offer help.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:20 PM

https://oecotextiles.wordpress.com/2...rick-question/
Old 06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I pre wash all my fabrics. There is just too many things now days to worry about. I will not waste my time worrying about anything.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:39 AM

I prewash all of my fabrics as well. My DH has been with me on 3 different occasions when I have been in JoAnn's shopping and has had to leave the store because something in the store has affected his allergies and giving him a headache immediately. I don't know if it is the fabric or what, but he said he wasn't going in again.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:02 AM

My original post was more about how long a person can count on the insecticide doing its job. Along with most of you who have posted here, I also wash everything. But fabric comes into my home from many sources, and if I don't wash it right away, I am wondering how long I can count on the original insecticides to be effective.

It appears from some of the research posted here that you can never completely get rid of the chemicals in fabric, but I wonder if insects are still being repelled.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:48 AM

What kind of insects would bother cotton fabric? Or are you just concerned about spiders, etc being harbored there?In the past, patchouli was used with fabric being imported from Asia. I guess to protect from moths, maybe. That would be a great way to have a little insurance, if you like the smell. It lingers for years, so be sure you like it before using it on cotton balls in your fabric stash.