Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best flannel at Joann's? >

What is the best flannel at Joann's?

What is the best flannel at Joann's?

Old 06-17-2017, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

The last 2 baby quilts I made, I purchased a premium flannel from Joann's. It was great and I would use it again. No problems with it at all.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:48 AM

I don't think all Snuggle flannel is bad. Recently I purchased a pretty tie dye one - I had to wash it repeatedly to get the colors to stop bleeding, it wasn't soft and it pilled. A butterfly print I bought at the same time washed up soft and fluffy with no pills. I think you have to choose one on a bolt by bolt basis.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:39 AM

It's hit or miss for me with Joann's flannel, the solid and tie dye colors usually pill and seem thinner than some of the prints. I actually got some better quality flannel at our closest Walmart, heavier than any of Joann's, not much shrinkage and no pilling when washed and tumble dried.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I've had mixed luck with all flannels. Some of JoAnn's cheap flannels worked great, others pilled.
This is my experience. When I bought a few years ago, there was only one 'brand', but the quality of the brand varied from print to print. And I could not tell what would wash well, and what would not.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by geevee View Post
It's hit or miss for me with Joann's flannel, the solid and tie dye colors usually pill and seem thinner than some of the prints. I actually got some better quality flannel at our closest Walmart, heavier than any of Joann's, not much shrinkage and no pilling when washed and tumble dried.
I have also purchased better flannel at Walmart.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:44 AM

surprisingly, our Walmart carries A E Nathan flannel which is a quality flannel.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:32 AM

www.thousandsofbolts.com has good quality flannel at good prices.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:55 AM

I bought quilter's flannel a while ago at Joann's. It was good quality and I had no problems of any kind with it. Made a quilt for my husband with the flannel on the top and minky for the back. He loves it, he beats it up, and I still have had no problems with it. But I wouldn't use their regular flannel on a quilt. Just too thin.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by itssewfun View Post
surprisingly, our Walmart carries A E Nathan flannel which is a quality flannel.
Walmart has carried A E Nathan fabrics for years. The quilt pattern and fabric line of the month that they used to do were from A E Nathan. I only made one of them but it came out really pretty.

I've only used flannel for the back of a couple quilts. The first was from solid yardage that was given to me so I don't know where it came from but it washed up heavy and very soft. The second was a Moda flannel I bought at a LQS because it matched the fabrics on the front of the quilt(from JoAnns and Hobby Lobby). It too washed up heavy and so soft.

Cari
Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 PM

I would not put JoAnn's flannel on a wedding quilt. I have purchased a lot of the snuggle flannel for projects such as burp cloths and have used the scraps in place of batting in baby quilts which I wanted to be lighter weight. I've had good luck with and and the burp cloths have gone through 3 kids with lots and lots of washings. They are faded and look well used but still going strong. To use it on a nice quilt however you would be degrading all the other material and work you are putting into this special quilt. If you want to make a kids drag around soft quilt I would use it. Prewash it and it makes a good light weight batting.