Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Copyright issues explained >

Copyright issues explained

Copyright issues explained

Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 AM

Default Copyright issues explained

We see so much misinformation on the internet and scarry stories. This one actually makes sense about copyrights.

http://so-sew-easy.com/sewing-patter...myths+debunked
Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 AM

Too many overthink copyright laws. Most have rules which aren't laws. Don't copy to give or sell, don't claim rights to it. An item can be made and sold from a bought copyright pattern if given the creator credit. Not following copyright law is a crime but not following a designer's rule is not. A creator may have many rules added to the sale of the pattern but it's the buyer's decision to follow the rules, it's not a law you have to.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:30 AM

So many designers are writing "patterns" for old blocks, then claiming copyright. I NEVER buy patterns, especially for the old blocks. It bothers me that folks are charging $8+ for quilt patterns made from blocks that you can find anywhere.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
So many designers are writing "patterns" for old blocks, then claiming copyright. I NEVER buy patterns, especially for the old blocks. It bothers me that folks are charging $8+ for quilt patterns made from blocks that you can find anywhere.
I agree, you can't make a ninepatch quilt and claim copyrights on that pattern, maybe the instructions on how YOU put it together, but not the block. I love the paperpiece, but i can look at a pattern and go draw my own version on graph paper.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ppquilter View Post
I agree, you can't make a ninepatch quilt and claim copyrights on that pattern, maybe the instructions on how YOU put it together, but not the block. I love the paperpiece, but i can look at a pattern and go draw my own version on graph paper.
As explained in the article, the copyright is on the pattern, not on the block.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:16 AM

Thanks so much jeank. A great explanation or copyrights for sewers.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
Don't be bothered, just don't buy! For you and lots of experienced quilters, you know it's a traditional block and you know where to find it for free. But there are lots of people just getting into quilting who appreciate a pattern telling them exactly what to do, step by step, to make a traditional quilt. The pattern maker has put forth work to explain a step by step format to get to the end product, and the buyer is happy to buy. So why get upset? It's just not for you, but doesn't mean no one should buy it.

Eleanor Burns does this all the time. She sells patterns and books of patterns for traditional designs that have been around forever, but with her own format, tips and twists to the construction. Same for lots of other people who write patterns. Just because a pattern isn't 100% original, doesn't mean it shouldn't be sold.

The "copyright" is for their own words in describing the process... the "copy", rather than the design.