Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is any fabric obviously out of place? >

Is any fabric obviously out of place?

Is any fabric obviously out of place?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 AM

They are all very nice. The question is what pattern are you using? I like the dark fabric with the first and third florals - but I think it should be used in small amounts so as to highlight and not overpower. I don't see any of the very dark colors in the middle floral, so good that you removed the darker solid. I was going to suggest that you take a black and white photo to check, but you did !!! Those are a lot of fabrics, please let us see the top when you finish it.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

what is the really dark color?
Old 06-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Power Poster

If you are like me, I start out with something in mind - and then when I'm actually doing whatever - it does not seem right - so on to plan B.

I usually allow myself to change directions while making a quilt.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 View Post
I have fretted and chosen and taken out and put in these fabrics. So I need another sets of eyes. Is there any fabric obviously out of place that I am not seeing? While I love this beautiful fabric, it is tricky to match or contrast colors. Any thoughts?
What are you trying to say with this quilt? Romance? Drama? Sweet? Summer?
If Romance: get rid of the very dark and intense greens/ add yellow-orange, red-orange, teal and blue
If Drama: remove mid values and washed out colors/ add intensity
If Sweet: remove extreem lights and darks/ add yellow-orange, light teal, light blue
Old 06-24-2017, 03:37 PM

I see this much differently. I see white/cream/yellow as a predominant color. I would take out most greens, the grey-blue, the really dark, and add a powder yellow. Too many colors could detract from the focus fabric. Just my humble two cents.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:22 PM

Looks great to me. Go for it!
Old 06-25-2017, 11:39 AM

I agree with the others about the dark ones. The just seem too strong. You do have some lovely choices.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Thank you ladies for sharing your time and thoughts with me. There is a blue in the mix, it just didn't make the photograph. There is black and an almost raspberry black in the fabric as well as a very dark blue, but no teal. I planned to use those colors very sparingly to seat the center motif. I just had a pattern in mind that used 30s fabrics, and that so isn't me. So I was trying to make the pattern with different fabrics than I used the first time when I put this focus fabric into a quilt. Some pinks in the fabric have grey/blue tones to them and there are corals and almost peachy pinks. The "pink" that was pointed out as not belonging is actually a companion piece to this floral line. I have never particularly thought it worked especially when the other pieces are just luscious. But I bought it anyway thinking, someone knows a lot more than me because they are designing the fabric in the first place. Then I went shop hopping the other day and I found the "perfect" line. But I had bought these and am stickingtoit. Bearisgray, always appreciate your insights and comments and I have learned the hard lesson, to let the quilts take a different direction. Thank you for the reminder about Jinny's color theory. I am familiar with that and Wolfgrom and the color wheel, but still feel unsure of myself when putting others together. I was trying to go with Ricky Tims theory about a dark dark, med dark, and his theory of seven colors or values. I do better with drama quilts as one person noted, bold and bright and beautiful colors. This fabric just fascinates me for some reason combining colors that I never thought "went together" and possibly because it is a great challenge. For those who may not have seen the first one, here it is and there are only 4 fabrics which made it much easier because it was a pattern that I made up, having seen several that were similar: [ATTACH=CONFIG]575347[/ATTACH]

I posted this one in January with pictures showing the beautiful stack and whack plates. Not beautiful because I made them, but because of the fabric. Thank you again for sharing your considerable knowledge and insights.
Attached Thumbnails img_0777.jpg   img_0762.jpg  

Last edited by Quilter 65; 06-25-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

That is a beautiful quilt.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
That is a beautiful quilt.
Thank you. I was pleased and it was received favorably by the intended recipient.