Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Scared of Sewing? Sometimes! >

Scared of Sewing? Sometimes!

Scared of Sewing? Sometimes!

Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 PM

Default Scared of Sewing? Sometimes!

Moda Cutting Table has an interesting motivational quilting/sewing article on "Sewing sometimes intimidates me. I love it, of course but sometimes when I’m looking at social media—blogs, Facebook, and Instagram—I imagine that I’m the only person who doesn’t know how to do needle-turned appliqué or curved piecing."

http://blog.modafabrics.com/2017/06/scared-of-sewing-sometimes/

Eye opening to know the quilters I look to for inspiration have these thoughts." Not just me.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 PM

I"m not usually an easily intimidated person (I did make start a king size quilt for my first larger than lap size quilt ), but there are times when I get intimidated and have trouble moving forward on a project. I have to make myself do it and accept that it might not be the best but it will be pretty and useable.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 PM

Just another reason for me not to jump into the 'social media' foray! I do what pleases me. I challenge myself with different styles/techniques that I think are a) within my abilities; b) interest me. If I succeed to a reasonable level of accuracy, I'm happy. I find that if I'm particularly interested in a visual and/or style, I tend to stick with the trials and tribulations of a particular technique to get to the end result. Phooey on what anyone else might think.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:18 PM

very interesting. thank you for posting. there are lots of different opinions and thoughts in that post.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 AM

I enjoyed reading this article, thanks.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

here's an active link to the article http://blog.modafabrics.com/2017/06/...ing-sometimes/
Old 07-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I think many quilting article writers run out of stuff to write about. Being scared to try a new sewing technique?
Old 07-02-2017, 06:31 AM

I got that article in my email from Moda too...
Old 07-02-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think many quilting article writers run out of stuff to write about. Being scared to try a new sewing technique?
LOL. One guild member was scared to cut a perfect color piece of fabric I offered her saying she was scared she would mess it up. I took the fabric and with my rotary cutter cut it to ribbons. I said it's fabric, not life or limb. I gave her another piece and said you want me to cut it for you? She laughed and said I got this now.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:42 AM

sometimes we are paralyzed by expectations - ours and others. The title may be an oversimplification. The article gives different people's insights.

I thought it was well thought out and interesting. Congratulations to those who have no hesitation ever. I think you are in the minority. I also think that someone who is designing for income and showing their work may have pressures another person alone in their sewing room doesn't face. I am not describing myself. I am thinking of the people quoted in the article.

Some quilters make the same pattern repeatedly some never do. Some quilters always want a new design. I have reached a stage in my quilt making where I am trying more often to not use someone's pattern but create for myself. I have been doing this with small wallhangings for a quilt show silent auction. The show is in August. I have finished one and I am binding the second. My progress is in spurts. I think something will work and then it fails.

An example: I took an Iquilt class - Paint and Stitch a Vibrant Art Quilt. I really enjoyed the class. I attempted a still life...but the canvas fabric stretches and the quilt doesn't lay flat so I have added more quilting and I will keep it at home - it isn't good enough for the auction. But this took a lot of time to get to the point where I realized it wouldn't work. After that, I moved to another idea and have changed out the background on the 2nd idea. See pictures below
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575693[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]575694[/ATTACH]

After picking out the background then I need to quilt it. Yeah, there is hesitation at several steps. Some minutes, some days. I like reading other's thoughts and processes. I don't have an unlimited budget. I can usually make something work but I am at a stage where I want to make things that really sing. YMMV.
I am binding the flower quilt now. It's not perfect but I enjoyed the process.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]575695[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20170521_172317.jpg   20170529_124425.jpg   20170628_121146.jpg  

Last edited by Pagzz; 07-02-2017 at 10:54 AM.