Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That >

Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That

Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That

Old 07-05-2017, 12:21 PM

Default Old Fashion Bias Binding - Never Done That

So I'm getting pretty close to needing the binding for my Jane Stickle quilt. The edge will be gently scalloped. In the picture, the curved pencil line is my intended stitching line for the binding.
I know how to make the binding and even have the "do-hicky" that folds the binding while you iron it. My question is do I need to do that? Or can I just stitch one side of the unpressed binding and fold to finish.
I'm assuming the french double fold binding we all love so well now, is not the appropriate way to go for a hand applied scalloped finish.
Attached Thumbnails img_6434.jpg  
Old 07-05-2017, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

Cut you bias binding and make a long strip if it. I like 2-1/4 for a double fold binding. Walk your binding around the edge to make sure the joins don't land in the scallop valleys. Sew the binding on before cutting the scallops. I like the binding pictures from http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com click on the Tutorial section and look for binding scallops
Old 07-05-2017, 01:33 PM

I hope you'll post a photo of the completed quilt. It looks amazing.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

as usual, great advice from Tartan
Old 07-05-2017, 02:02 PM

I'm glad you said double fold, otherwise I would have abandoned that idea. I love the stitching before cutting. thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 02:45 PM

The best instructions I found when I finished my Dear Jane were from Linda Franz. The binding part starts on the 3rd page, but all of the instructions are worth reading. The best part of the binding instructions is her advice to not sew the binding strips together until you're actually sewing the binding on. It keeps you from having a seam fall in a dip (or inny) in the curve. It'll make sense when you read her directions.

https://lindafranz.com//section/scallops/38
Old 07-05-2017, 03:08 PM

I used double fold bias binding for the scallop edge quilt I did. My first and only scallop edge, so far. I loved how it turned out. I have done bias binding, also double fold, on a couple of quilts that were not scallop edge. It's kind of fun to do and it fascinates me the amount of binding you get with this method.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Power Poster

Not sure I understand the question. You will need to use bias binding. I recently saw a youtube where Alex Anderson showed how she does scalloped binding. When she gets to the dip, she actually pulls the next scallop so the dip just about creates a straight line with the binding already sewn. She just keeps sewing straight to get across the dip and follows the curve of the next scallop. When she releases the scallop, the binding will fall into place.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:04 PM

This is her question in a nutshell:

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine View Post
I have the "do-hicky" that folds the binding while you iron it. My question is do I need to do that? Or can I just stitch one side of the unpressed binding and fold to finish.
DON'T press the binding in half before you sew it on. It will actually fold over the raw edge of the quilt much better if you don't.

I never iron any of my bindings, scalloped or not. It's an unnecessary step.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Power Poster

Haven't made a scalloped binding and probably never will.

I always press my WOF binding in half and press it. Makes it so much easier and neater. I never use bias binding.