Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting problems >

free motion quilting problems

free motion quilting problems

Old 07-27-2017, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

I have two straight stitch only machines that I quilt on. I lower the feed dogs, and lessen the pressure on the FMQ foot. I wear garden gloves with rubber nubs on them. It does take some effort to move the quilt. I am making smaller quilts now, therefore I quilt about every two or three days. Just quilting will strengthen your arms, hands and shoulders, making it easier.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:52 AM

Hey wildcard,
in addition to the info others have given about presser feet, sliders and gloves I would add that drag from the quilt hanging off the surface, or getting hung up on the edge of the machine bed can make it very difficult to move the quilt.

if it feels like the quilt is being heavy or hard to move that's a sign that something in your set up needs to be tweaked.

Rob
Old 07-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

I'll just say ditto to much of what has already been said, and not repeat ....

Here's an idea that someone else posted to deal with the drag ...
Stop the Quilt Drag while FMQ
There are lots of commercial variations of this,
but sometimes, what we invent ourselves works as good or better!

Another way to make things a little more slippy and minimize the drag ....
..... silicone spray the top of your sewing area.
Be careful to not spray it on the floor, or you will find out just how well it works!
OUCH!

While several have already mentioned that the right foot can make a big difference ....
... I don't think it was noted that some machines have specific FMQ foot sets.
You may want to inquire about that for yours.

Ergonomics makes a big difference to the FMQing process.
I know many do, but I could never FMQ on an extension table.
Getting my machine set into a table made a big difference for me.
Also, chair height ... I like my chair set a little higher for FMQing than doing conventional stitching.

Just some ideas .... good luck!
Old 07-29-2017, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have found that I really like using the sponges that have a pot scrubber side to them. The scrubby side on the fabric really grips the fabric great. The sponge is soft to hold on to - and my hands don't get a sweaty like when I wear the gloves

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577436[/ATTACH]

Very clever. I have some of those. I'll have to try them..
Old 07-29-2017, 06:35 AM

Having fibro also, I know exactly what you mean. We don't have the same strength as those with healthier muscles so quilting is challenge for me too. I've been thinking about getting the Supreme Slider too but think I'll try the oven liners first so thanks for that suggestion to the poster of that.

I do use good quilting gloves (don't have the Machingers, which I've heard good things) but when those don't help, I've used finger cots which do help a lot. however, the pressure on my fingers makes my hands hurt faster.

The best thing I've found comes from my old secretarial days. It's a glycerin-type salve similar to this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Sortkwik-Fing...=tacky+fingers

I rub it on my whole palm and fingers and keep re-applying it as needed. It gives my fingers / hands enough tacky feeling to hold the fabric. It doesn't leave a residue either. I know it sounds crazy but it does seem to help.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I have found that I really like using the sponges that have a pot scrubber side to them. The scrubby side on the fabric really grips the fabric great. The sponge is soft to hold on to - and my hands don't get a sweaty like when I wear the gloves

[ATTACH=CONFIG]577436[/ATTACH]
You learn all kinds of great things on a board like this. Very clever.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA View Post
Is it possible that your surface that you're moving the fabric over needs more slide? There is a sewing notion for that called Supreme Slider or the cheaper version an oven liner. I use the latter for that... got 2 for $10ish off Amazon.
I used Johnson's paste wax when my sewing machine surface wouldn't slide the fabric well.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:49 AM

So much great information! I think my two biggest problems are that my machine is not flush and sits above the table surface so everything is always uphill, and working with the wrong foot pressure and foot. I don't even have an extension table so my actual surface area is very small and I don't see that changing. Guess it's back to straight line quilting for me. I really don't mind so much, I get a lot of quilts done that way and people seem to like it ok.
My favorite saying is Bloom Where You Are Planted, and I seem to be planted smack in the middle of straight line quilting! LOL
Old 07-29-2017, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vickig626 View Post
........I do use good quilting gloves (don't have the Machingers, which I've heard good things) but when those don't help, I've used finger cots which do help a lot. however, the pressure on my fingers makes my hands hurt faster............
I don't have fibro, so I don't really know what you are dealing with. Nor do I have any direct relevance towards what you experience. Just hoping, that perhaps this info may help you a little.

I used finger cots when I first started FMQing and didn't like them for the same reason.
However, I found out that there are different sizes, and when I got a better fit, I was more impressed.
What I didn't like was how fast they wore out, especially if I was trying to move a pin.
Also, I was surprised how much my fingers would sweat in them.

Machingers became my best friend ... The stretch of them, let them fit relatively tight, but do not compress. If find them quite comfortable to work with. My hands don't sweat in them, but if my hands are a bit cold, they even give a little extra warmth. Bonus too, I often feel like they give a bit of a massage.

Good Luck!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-29-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
...........my machine is not flush and sits above the table surface so everything is always uphill,............
That does not mean that you cannot FMQ!!!
Many do .... the earlier comments were to help you consider what may make it easier for you.

And too ... many have dealt with the unevenness, by building around it, with something temporary to level it out. Eg. styrofoam.

Yes. bloom where you are planted, but there are a lot of flowers that bloom where they are not supposed to do so, so why should you give up so quickly?

Never Say Never .... and look for ways to make it work.
That is, if you really do want to do so.