Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Denim quilts >

Denim quilts

Denim quilts

Old 11-19-2006, 06:19 AM

:roll:

I am working on a denim circle quilt...It calls for used Jeans..It is supposed to go quickly but I have to much else to do Does anyone have any hints to working on denim......You can only cut one piece at a time. Has anyone used this pattern or the rag quilt?
Old 11-19-2006, 07:40 AM

I have made several jean quilts and I am going to begin making another as soon as I get a quilt finished I am working on. I cut my peices denim and flannel for backing at the same time and then they are ready to go when sewing together--I use 1/2" seam to make it raggy I have never done a circle , just square
Old 06-20-2007, 02:27 PM

ruth, i've never seen a denim quilt done in circles .can't wait to see yours.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:04 PM

I can't wait either, that's odd you posted to this i came across it today while hoeing out my mess and was thinking I should finish it It's close
Old 06-20-2007, 05:20 PM

Here is a link for making denim quilts:

http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/bluejeans.html

Be sure to check the gallery of quilts others have made. There is one that is made from circles and is similar to a Cathedral Window. Also some tips on working with denim.

June
Old 06-20-2007, 07:39 PM

The circle quilt looks like the Fons and Porter Peek a Boo quilt. I have one started that takes 180 circles. I was going to make all 180 with novelty centers, but have decided to do every other circle with plain calmer fabric, because I think otherwise it will be way to busy. It's supposed to be a donation quilt, but will probably not be done for another year or so. I had to buy a pair of cordless scissors because my hand kept giving out trimming all the circles. I want to put some together soon, and then I'll post a WIP picture.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:39 PM

My mom and I have had great success with denim squares alternating with squares from old corduroy pants and or drapery or upholstery remnants. The suggestion to cut the flannel backing squares at the same time is a good one too although we have often pieced only the quilt front and purchased enough yardage of all the same flannel to back the quilt with, seaming it in half or thirds depending on the width of the finished quilt that is planned.
I would reccomment using a serger to put the squares together or alternatively using a straight stitch with a second row of narrow zig zag to prevent fraying unless the plan is to have all the squares with the seams outside and delberately frayed fringe edges on each square or circle. They then last longer through many more washings before needing repair, and are usually heavy enough to not need any batting in the middle and still be nice and warm as a TV blanket or summer bedspread or blanket 8)
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM

I used spring assisted scissors or clippers when cutting denim. You cut and they spring open.........come in all price ranges.....super for rag quilts. Makes it a lot easier on your hands
Old 06-21-2007, 10:26 PM

I hadn't tried spring scissors yet as my kitchen spring type ones seem so clumsy and dull. I bought a pair of electric scissors on special to try and will let folk know what I think of them, has any one else used electric scissors successfully for fabric and denim work?
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 AM

I just bought a pair of Black and Decker cordless scissors. I have used them just a little to cut out some 3 layer circles. I think it will take a little practice to keep the cut smooth, but it sure was easier on my hand. I haven't cut anything really heavy yet, but these are supposed to do almost anything, including vinyl and leather. They were not as expensive as I thought they would be (about 20 at Lowe's).