Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
gypsy quilt? >

gypsy quilt?

gypsy quilt?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:04 AM

Gypsy Wife was the most challenging quilt I've made to date. I've been quilting for about 6 years and have made about 90 quilts. I did it as a quilt along with a group from a camp/retreat. The directions were confusing and there were several mistakes in the pattern. We made sticky labels to label each of the strip pieces, which was very helpful for final assembly.
Here is a link to my finished quilt. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999467709775/
Old 08-07-2017, 05:22 AM

I'm planning one now. Bought the pattern. Fabric at the ready. Have to build design wall before I start. This one will take a while.
Yours is lovely, Kris. Any other pointers?
Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 AM

Default GYPSY quilt pattern

Originally Posted by KarenJ View Post
I'm planning one now. Bought the pattern. Fabric at the ready. Have to build design wall before I start. This one will take a while.
Yours is lovely, Kris. Any other pointers?
Creative Sewlutions in New Braunfels, Tx has a cute quilt pattern named GYPSY that is quite cute and very easy. You might take a look at it too.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:45 AM

Thanks, i thought this quilt sounded complicated for a beginner. I also only found gypsy wife not gypsy quilt.???
Old 08-12-2017, 06:42 AM

One of the first things I did was make a chart of the lengths of needed for each strip. (Did in using Excel) I used mostly fat quarters, so had to figure out the strips that needed longer than 18" chunks. Each of my strips is unique.

Once I had the strips cut, I cut out what I needed for the blocks and sewed them all up. I do not like the covered corner method for Square in a Square (never turns out with a nice center for me) so I cut center squares and put triangles on the corners.

There is nothing hard as to the sewing with this pattern, the difficulty is all in keeping everything sorted. I did not use a design wall, but had stuff draped all over the sewing room.

This is the floppy, I don't have any pictures of the finished quilt. I plan on doing another, but will have more differentiation between the blocks and strips - ie maybe use all blue shades for the strips, then all green/yellow shades for the blocks. I'm also going to use my favorite blocks to swap out for some of those I don't really care for in the pattern.

This would be a good pattern to modify to use up orphan blocks too.

Last edited by Macybaby; 08-12-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 AM

Kris P, you mention making the quilt and finding several mistakes in the pattern instructions. I was seriously considering this quilt to use up scraps but now am hesitant. Do you think the pattern company has acknowledged this and corrected the pattern by now?
Old 08-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Are you thinking of the Gypsy Wife Quilt?

https://redthreadstudio.com/products...SABEgLZ4vD_BwE
It still makes me think of a "clean out the refrigerator" quilt.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:50 AM

I believe edition #1 of the Gypsy Wife quilt is the one with all the errors. If you have that copy, there are corrections to the pattern and blocks on Pinterest. I was lucky enough to find the pattern in paper piecing.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:22 PM

I have a newer copy. I don't think I found errors - it's more "omissions" I added a lot of notes to my copy for items that I felt should be there and aren't.

The part that almost tripped me up big time - on the back is says you need X number of 2" strips. But you don't use any 2" strips, they are all cut at 1.5". I almost started cutting a bunch of 2" strips from my larger pieces - and I'd have been very upset to then recut them and have that waste. And it's got a few places with 1" strips, but there is only one place they are needed. If I make it again, I'll adjust so I don't have any narrow strips. I don't think they add anything other than increase the "pain" factor.

I think this was a real fun quilt to make.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 PM

I literally just got off of e-bay where I ordered the book?/pattern? Was around $30 with no fabric, kind of expensive, but I've wanted to make this quilt for a while. Hopefully, I will receive version #2. Is there a website with the corrections? Thanks!