Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Forgetful at times >

Forgetful at times

Forgetful at times

Old 08-07-2017, 07:52 AM

Default Forgetful at times

My husband just came in carrying a box that UPS dropped off for me from Missouri Star Quilt Co. It was a layer cake and 1 yard of a coordinating fabric, maybe for binding.....I do remember ordering it. But not what pattern it was for. One in my stash or one Jenny was showing a tute for?? Have ordered a lot of new fabric lately because I'm tired of looking at the same old stuff. Aren't we all?? What I'm wondering is how on earth do we all remember what we purchased fabric for? Does anyone keep a notebook, with things like date ordered, where from, maybe a picture of it, what pattern to be used for, do you place a pattern with fabric and store it away, or ordered just because it's so pretty?? Sometimes I think I either have too many irons in the fire, or I'm not firing on all cylinders! Help!!
Old 08-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

maybe all of the above?
Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

I would write down the purchase and intent at the time of the order.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

I store the pattern or directions with the fabric gathered and then, when it is time, it is all there to begin the project. I do keep a notebook, but it is mostly for stitch settings and quilting ideas. I keep all of the "kits" together so I don't accidentally get into any of the fabrics. That helps me to stay on track.
I too have ordered fabric for a reason and forgotten why. Don't be too hard on yourself over it. Maybe you will remember and all will be right again. Once I ordered three different backings for the same quilt. Thank goodness it was a smaller one and that the extra fabric was nice enough for some other purpose.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

Like you, my cylinders are not all firing. Another problem is waiting too long to make a quilt I have in mind. Then another idea comes around that the fabric would be perfect for.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

" out of all the things that I lost, my mind is what I miss the most" Instead of menopause, I call it mentalpause nowadays.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

I'm too disorganized to make a list of anything I love to order from Missouri Star. I watch Jenny's tutorials every week.
But when it comes to fabric buying I usually get something I like and then think of a project. Maybe I do it backwards but so far it works for me.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:05 AM

I have a written bucket list of projects, but only a few of them are fabric specific. If they are (like an all black and white), those fabrics are kept in a separate stack.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I'm too disorganized to make a list of anything I love to order from Missouri Star. I watch Jenny's tutorials every week.
But when it comes to fabric buying I usually get something I like and then think of a project. Maybe I do it backwards but so far it works for me.
I do it like Susie, I find fabric I like and decide what to make out of it later. Of course, that allows me more trips to the LQS to find things to go with the fabric.

My friend told her doctor that she was having trouble remembering things. He told her "You're just trying to remember too much." Works for me.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 AM

Welcome to the club. Sometimes I attach a note to my invoice so I'll know what
the fabric is for. That doesn't mean I won't change my mind afterwards.
The other day I was drooling over some fabric online which I discovered
I already have. Duh

Tartan, I like that...mentalpause. So true. LOL