Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt Go for Paper Piecing >

Accuquilt Go for Paper Piecing

Accuquilt Go for Paper Piecing

Old 08-07-2017, 01:30 PM

Default Accuquilt Go for Paper Piecing

I have an Accuquilt Go, with a die containing 3 different size Hexi's.

Can I cut the paper out with my die and not ruin it for fabric later on, or is it like scissors where it needs to be
'fabric only'.

I don't want to ruin the die, but I also would save a ton of time on cutting out the kazillion papers I am going through for my hexi project, too.....

thanks
Old 08-07-2017, 01:40 PM

I use my Go dies for my EPP. I do cut the card stock w/the dies.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Power Poster

accuquilt says you can... see to the right under the pic
http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-pap...hed-sides.html
Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM

This is the die I have. It doesn't say anything about paper or card stock (which is what I'm using)

http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-hex...1-2-sides.html
Old 08-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

It's true that paper can dull scissors. See this web page for why:
http://so-sew-easy.com/cut-paper-with-sewing-scissors/

The Accuquilt FAQ says this (scroll down to fabric):
http://so-sew-easy.com/cut-paper-with-sewing-scissors/

You need to weigh the value of your time and energy against the cost of the die. There's no guarantee that cutting enough hexies for a king size quilt will ruin the die; it might still be just fine for fabric. I looked up your die and it costs about $35. You can probably get it for less during one of their sales. If it were me and I was concerned about ruining the die, I would buy a new one and label it "for paper only". (The reason I would use a new one for paper is because there has been some speculation lately that Accuquilt might have gone to a less strong steel for dies, meaning newer dies may not be quite as hardy as older dies. It's only speculation, though; may or may not be true.)

Or, start using your existing die for paper and get a new one later on, if you need to cut fabric hexies and you find this die doesn't work well for fabric anymore.

I use my dies to cut freezer paper for turned edge machine applique and have not noticed any ill effects on the dies. If I ever do, I will just replace the dies as needed.

Edit: I can't help but be reminded of recent threads discussing how the "good China" was saved, or how gifts were stored in drawers for decades because they were "too good to use" -- saved until they are inherited by the family, only to find no one wants them.

My take on this is that an Accuquilt die is purchased to make accurate cuts easy and fast for the user -- whether the die is cutting fabric or paper. These dies don't last forever anyway. It may be that they last longer if you cut only fabric with them, but they probably still last a long time even if you cut paper with them. For me, it would be worth $35 or more to make my life easier cutting hexies.

Last edited by Prism99; 08-07-2017 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Power Poster

I cut everything that will cut with my Go Alphabet dies. Foil, cardstock, vinyl, cork, and felt. I haven't had any problems cutting fabric with the dies. I use the Alphabet dies a lot.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:06 PM

I think I might just go for it. It certainly would save a boatload of time!
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Speaking of the Accuquilt Go, Amazon has dropped the price to $199. I fought myself all day not to buy it. I've won so far against the temptation.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcraine View Post
Speaking of the Accuquilt Go, Amazon has dropped the price to $199. I fought myself all day not to buy it. I've won so far against the temptation.
Don't hesitate if you want one of those. Looks like a store is getting rid of its inventory and there are only a few left. Accuquilt doesn't allow distributors to sell below price, so this is probably a store that has decided not to carry them anymore. It's not Amazon that has lowered its price; it is the store selling through Amazon. If you read the fine print at the top of the listing you will see who the seller is.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Don't hesitate if you want one of those. Looks like a store is getting rid of its inventory and there are only a few left. Accuquilt doesn't allow distributors to sell below price, so this is probably a store that has decided not to carry them anymore. It's not Amazon that has lowered its price; it is the store selling through Amazon. If you read the fine print at the top of the listing you will see who the seller is.
Accuquilt has them on sale now too. Just looked. I would get one if they had more dies with them but the cost of the dies I want are prohibitive. I'll just stick to rotary cutting. Quilting can become a money pit and I've spent enough for now. Maybe I'll get my husband to buy me one for Christmas.

Last edited by jcraine; 08-09-2017 at 04:38 AM.