Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Premie/NICU guidance please >

Premie/NICU guidance please

Premie/NICU guidance please

Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Premie/NICU guidance please

My niece recently gave birth to premature triplets which will likely be in the NICU for an extended time. I would appreciate guidance about quilts or blankets for premies and also about donating to a NICU.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 AM

I would check with the hospital where they are. My GS was in NICU for a month-nothing was allowed in the incubator with him. There was a quilt over the top that was from the hospital. When we took him out to hold him he was wrapped in a hospital blanket. Later when his parents were allowed to room in with him they could use their own blankets to wrap him in to hold but only the baby went back into the incubator
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM
Power Poster

A lot of preemie charities are making the isolette covers. The one I have sewn for wants just two sides of 100% cotton flannel (can be pieced or not) and no batting. They are simply "birthed" and quilted, topstitched 1/4- 1/2" around the outside edge. The size they want is 34" x 40", which is just about right for one yard for each side, after prewashing and shrinking.

The babies need their isolettes covered so their little eyes can be shaded from all the light in the NICU while they are growing. Then once they are able to go home, their blankies are given to them to keep as a lightweight baby blanket. They are pretty good sized!
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM

First of all...congratulations!!! Hugs and prayers to your niece and her growing family.

I, too, would check with the hospital to see what they will allow.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Smile

A smaller, light weight quilt with flannel 24x24 on one side is nice to hold the babies in. A larger size is nice for on top of the isolette. 38x40 My daughter had triplets three years ago. As someone mentioned, often the babies do not have a quilt in the isolette and rules might apply at different NICU units. At the NICU my daughter's triplets were at, very small "quilts", just 18x22 in. rectangles sewn together are bunched around the baby to help keep them warm and or babies lay on top of tiny quilts. All these have flannel on one side. There was also a distinction between what is owned by the family and what is not. Incase of my grand babies, the items owned by the family were kept in a drawer beneath the isolette and put in a special laundry bag kept by the isolette. These items were washed at home by the family. Please feel free to pm me.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 08-15-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:12 PM

I have made 24 x 24 quilts for my local NICU for many years now. The parents pick which quilt they like, and it is draped over the isolette. When the baby goes home, so does the chosen quilt.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mary Rita T View Post
My niece recently gave birth to premature triplets which will likely be in the NICU for an extended time. I would appreciate guidance about quilts or blankets for premies and also about donating to a NICU.
Ask the NICU what they allow and need!
Old 08-17-2017, 04:02 AM

All of these are excellent recommendations but my comment will be a little different. Some of those little-bitties won't survive but it's still nice to have something special to wrap them in. I have used orphan blocks to fashion into tiny quilts for donation and with that intent. When I was first interested in doing that, there was an online reference that it is best to not use some blues or yellows in those quilts as the infant already has a poor color. Of course, hospital white is not preferred--something cozy and comforting at a most difficult time.

Use of cotton is preferred because of static electricity possibilities.

I remember when my little grandson was born and my son first went into the NICU, he was shocked that "mom has already been here" when he found a quilt over the top of the incubator! Of course, it wasn't one of mine but it was a great comfort to my son during that time of uncertainty and concern.
Old 08-17-2017, 04:51 AM

the city hospital that takes Project Linus quilts that I make likes them to be 36" square, they go over the top of the incubator to keep out bright lights. They then go home with the baby. Of course each hospital uses them in a different manner and has its preference.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:00 AM

I have 2 grandbabies in NICU at present. My son asked the nurses what the "rules" were, what size is best, etc. They preferred a quilt about 30+ inches X 40+ inches. Large enough for top of the isolette, plus draping down the sides to protect baby from noise and light. Our quilts are labeled and are sent home with family to launder (in hot water). Those quilts that belong to the NICU are used on different babies, sent through the hospital laundry, and returned to the unit. They are not sent home with the babies. They like to have a darker color on the back to dim the light inside, and definitely batting inside the quilt. I would ask the nurses, they are the best resource for what works best in that particular NICU. Congratulations and prayers for the babies!