Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you planning on looking at the eclipse? >

Are you planning on looking at the eclipse?

Are you planning on looking at the eclipse?

Old 08-19-2017, 11:42 AM

I will be watching. Got glasses from work. You can't see a thing with them on. We are in line for the total eclipse. School has been let out for the day. Good thing. I've seen all the traffic coming thru. Schools had planned on being open so glasses were purchased and were sent home with kids after they decided to close for the day.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

Jim bought some glasses but now I am worried. Not sure what to do.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I remember the last time we had a total eclipse. It wasn't that big a deal then. No one really cared. The day got dark like a storm was coming, then in no time it started to get light again. It never got night dark.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Power Poster

but this one is planning to get really dark for a longer time. I've got some new eyes, but even though it cost me, i'm not taking chances. just watching it on tv.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:50 PM

Experience several partial eclipses and having taught meteorology we will watch for the 2+minutes of totality and before and after wearing our glasses and taking photos. Praying no one is injured on the roads and everyone stays sane.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Boston1954 you can test your glasses. You should see NOTHING with them on. If they are that dark, you can look at the sun and it will look like a full moon on a pitch dark night. I hope you got a good pair
Old 08-19-2017, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Probably not. I heard that pets will get weirded out by it so I'll probably be watching them instead
Oh! I hadn't thought of that. I'll be sure to keep my three dogs inside and will probably be keeping a close eye on them, too.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Oh! I hadn't thought of that. I'll be sure to keep my three dogs inside and will probably be keeping a close eye on them, too.
Don't worry about your dogs. They will just think it is nightime early or a cloudy day. See the quote below.
"On a normal day, your pets don't try to look at the sun, and therefore don't damage their eyes. And on this day, they're not going to do it, either," Angela Speck, director of astronomy and a professor of astrophysics at the University of Missouri, said at a news conference with NASA on June 21 in Washington, D.C.
"It's not a concern, letting them [pets] outside," Speck said. "I'm not going to worry about my cat."
However, Speck noted that the eclipse might affect the behavior of certain animals. For instance, as the sky darkens, farm animals such as cattle may think nighttime is approaching and thus may decide to head back to the barn, she said.
In addition, insects and frogs might start chirping, just as they do during dusk on summer nights. Birds may also be fooled into thinking it's nightfall, and may start "making lots of noise [to] show you that they're getting ready to go to bed," Speck said. [Sleep Tight! Snoozing Animals Gallery]
Old 08-19-2017, 06:18 PM

I'm watching it on TV and keeping the dogs in. My BC/Lab likes to roll around on her back. Her eyesight is already a little impaired and neither one of us needs any more impairment. The Siberian would probably be okay, but why take a chance even though we are not in the direct path?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:41 PM

I will be working probably no chance to look and I didn't get glasses so even if I had a chance can't anyway. We are in the 85 - 90% path so won't have totality so I'll just "watch" it online or on tv.