Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Are you planning on looking at the eclipse? >

Are you planning on looking at the eclipse?

Are you planning on looking at the eclipse?

Old 08-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have read many eye surgeons say do not look at the eclipse, not even for a second.
I don't think that will be a problem here in Willapa Country. Out of bed at 5AM this morning and the house was flooded with light reflecting off the fog. Hours later now, and still foggy. We can usually see town from up here on the hill, but not today. I walked out the back door and startled a beautiful Doe and fawn just past it's spotted coat. They were drinking from the water dish I keep filled out there for cats, tame and feral. Apples are dropping from the trees and Brown Turkey figs are drooping, looks like everything is ripening early. I think we will be watching the event on KOMO.
Not trusting what all the so-called experts say about animals not being affected, husband has decreed that cat will stay inside until later in the day. The folks down around Madras, Oregon have my sympathy.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:37 AM

Our neighbors had a mare that became blind after an eclipse. She was just out in the pasture with a couple of others and somehow she looked. She was blind the rest of her life.

I wonder how many cases of blindness they are expecting?

Marcia
Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM

We spent the morning outside with the dogs. As the eclipse was passing over we kept them occupied. They really didn't seem very interested in what was going on nature wise.
Boko pestered his Lady friend Cali and helped me haul branches down to the pre-burn pile I have going. As soon as the fire dept. allows yard debris burning I will be all set.

Bella, our old lady dog stayed in her kennel under her covered porch relaxing. I did manage to get Boko to carry three branches and put them near the pile before he got sidetracked pestering Cali.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
My son says the shield level needs to be at least a 10 on your welding helmet and not auto darkening as it won't darken fast enough(?).
10 won't be dark enough, my husband welds and we compared his helmet with a pair of eclipse glasses. The helmet was no way dark enough to even think about using.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

I think it's 14 lens. That is what the news anchor reported. Not many that dark a lens, too hard to see the weld. LOL

Sun is still shinning bright here and the eclipse is suppose to be 95% total in my town. It's 1 pm and the max will happen at 1:15.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
Don't worry about your dogs. They will just think it is nightime early or a cloudy day. See the quote below.
"On a normal day, your pets don't try to look at the sun, and therefore don't damage their eyes. And on this day, they're not going to do it, either," Angela Speck, director of astronomy and a professor of astrophysics at the University of Missouri, said at a news conference with NASA on June 21 in Washington, D.C.
"It's not a concern, letting them [pets] outside," Speck said. "I'm not going to worry about my cat."
However, Speck noted that the eclipse might affect the behavior of certain animals. For instance, as the sky darkens, farm animals such as cattle may think nighttime is approaching and thus may decide to head back to the barn, she said.
In addition, insects and frogs might start chirping, just as they do during dusk on summer nights. Birds may also be fooled into thinking it's nightfall, and may start "making lots of noise [to] show you that they're getting ready to go to bed," Speck said. [Sleep Tight! Snoozing Animals Gallery]
Sorry, but I'm not taking the word of an astronomer who may or may not know anything about pets. What if they hear a noise or it gets dark and they accidently look and then are blind? Totally not worth the risk.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Totality just passed here in Tennessee. It was an amazing sight.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
Totality just passed here in Tennessee. It was an amazing sight.
Yes, it really was amazing!
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I must be the only one who couldn't care less about this "event"....
No, you're not. The younger engineers and some office staff were all grabbing their "glasses" and running outside earlier. I had no urge to join them. I never really get these things.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Yes!....for brief periods while wearing the proper eye protection! The grands are here; we're having an eclipse party...with sparklers to use during totality,and eclipse- decorated cupcakes.
Your party sounded like such fun, how did it turn out? Here we had busloads of students on field trips, universities had science fairs, towns had special speakers of astronauts, astronomers, vets who said animals have more sense than humans to stare at the sun, eye doctors who said eye damage is very rare and expect none, some speakers had witnessed several eclipses and told about them in other countries, churches had parties in their parking lots with ice cream and senior centers gave out glasses and MoonPies. No traffic problems and best part was a minister who gave a prayer for peace and thankful that all kinds of people could get together in this time of fear and hate in our country. Great experience and looking forward to the next one in 2024!