Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt- Yay or Nay? >

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Default Accuquilt- Yay or Nay?

Hi everyone, after spending days cutting up my fabrics for Shakespeare in the Park I started looking at the Accuquilts- I was actually floored by the costs but intrigued by the value of having one. Of course my favorite is the most expensive one.
Somehow I can't justify the cost though. Each die costs a fortune.
I can afford it but do I need it? I guess I'd like to know if you think it's a good investment.
I do a lot of quiltmaking.
Can you weigh in on this?
I also don't know anyone who has one so I've never seen it.

Thanks
Sue
Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 AM

I bought the Go BIg about 10 months ago. My shoulders were hurting and the cutting was not helping any. I LOVE my Go, especially for strips!!!! I'm picky about what dies I buy because they are spendy. I have the 2 1/2 and 3 inch strip dies, the 2 1/2, 3, 4 1/2, 5, 8 and 10 inch block dies because that's what I use most. My next one will be a 2 inch strip because that's what I use for log cabin.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 AM

If you will use it often, allows you to spend time sewing sooner or makes it easier for you physically, then go for it. I am not sure about the GO products but the Accuquilt Studio is heavy to move around-think a portable sewing machine with case on it. If you have space, then you that is a non-issue. About 6 years ago when I lived in the Pittsburgh PA area, a couple of the quilt shops had Studio cutters for rent so I was able to actually use one. If you can find a shop that has one go for a test drive.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:58 AM

I bought my go big electric years ago, and each year I add some more dies, a few at a time. The machine is now out all the time and I think I use it every day for something, even if it is to trim up scraps before I store them. It is just as important as my sewing machine. No way could I participate in board swaps with out it. Swaps require volume and accuracy. Even their patterns go on sale for zero dollars every now and then. I love my Go and am glad to give them my money.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:19 AM

A few years back my DDIL decided she needed one, because she was having trouble with the rulers and rotary cutter. Last summer I borrowed it to cut some charity quilts from my scraps. Decided I loved it, and asked her if I should buy my own or buy additional dies for hers. She said dies. I do think the key is having it out where it can be used. I don't get "ours" out very often. I would have bought the electric for myself, but do not find the hand crank difficult to use at all, but rarely had more than 4 or 5 layers of fabric.

Linda in Missouri
Old 08-20-2017, 08:55 AM

I love mine and consider it a real investment as it gives me more time to sew and less time cutting.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

I love mine. I buy a die I don't have when I want to use it. The time saved and accuracy of the cuts is worth more to me then the cost which I think is reasonable compared to the sewing machines that cost hundreds or thousands more.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

In retrospect, I'd rather have not bought one. I have the regular Go: The cranking will wear your elbow out! Once the dies get dull, you have tons of threads to clip. If you put too much fabric in them, the stack of fabric slides and your squares come out with curved edges. I've had this happen even with the recommended six layers. I would say, unless you are cutting kits in quantity, it's just not worth all that money to save a little bit of time in cutting.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 AM

One of the things I love about quilting is handling the fabric and cutting it and seeing a quilt created by my own hands. So, I'd ask myself just how much you love the steps in quilting. If all that cutting is not enjoyable to you and you don't like doing it or you simply want the process to go faster...buy it!
Old 08-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Banned

I have a GoBaby and I'm glad I didn't spend much on it(found it at a thrift store). I've had it for three years, bought 2 extra dies on sale, and I think I've used it twice. Both times was to cut up some scraps, I've never even opened the extra dies I bought.

Cari