Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you save on quilt rulers? >

How do you save on quilt rulers?

How do you save on quilt rulers?

Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Default How do you save on quilt rulers?

I would like to add to my quilting rulers but I have noticed that the one I want is around $15.00s . I was wondering if there is a way to save on them? If you have any suggestions on how to make them or how to save money on them that would be great. Because just like fabric I know they can get costly.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

I bought mine years ago. I just buy the one I will hopefully use.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 PM

Lowes and Home Depot carry the plexiglas and acrylic sheets. I don't know about the craft stores. Anyway, they can be cut into any shape. The acrylic sheets are the best and can be marked using a permanent marker. I would recommend a very fine point. It will be permanent. My cousin will cut me any shape on his band saw. I have a scroll saw but I have not tried it. Some picture frames come with plastic instead of glass. I did not check the hardware stores yet. Good luck!
Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM

Shop where you can use coupons such as Hobby Lobby and Joanns. Check your rulers to see if one that you already have will do the job. For instance you really don't need a special ruler to cut squares into half square triangles. Use the edge of any ruler from opposite corners. Your rulers also have 30%, 45% and 60% lines so there is a savings too. One big say 14" square ruler can take the place of lots of smaller squares. True they may not be quite as convenient but a savings for sure. I imagine others can give more examples also. That is what comes to mind quickly.

Last edited by jokir44; 08-21-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 PM

Ditto. I have very few rulers because many times a regular ruler will do. The few specialty rulers I have will do multiple sizes of their particular thing, not just one size. Coupons help tremendously. You could also ask at a local guild or post on QB and see if anyone has the one you are looking for for sale. I found a multiple size Dresden template, in package, on EBay for less than other places.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:49 PM

You wanna know how I do it? I make shop samples for my LQS. I get a discount on anything I buy. If the sample requires a special ruler and I want to keep it when I'm done, I have that option.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:19 PM

You can find used ones on Ebay. I just bought some great fussy cut templates on there last week that were gently used.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:50 AM
Power Poster

Watch for sales, use coupons, watch ads for estate sales, some guilds have annual sales where members bring in items they no longer want. Some people have many rulers/ templates they never use & decide to pass on. Participate in exchanges ( secret santa, secret sister, friend exchange, etc.) and put the rulers you wish you had on the questionaire. Put the items on an Amazon wish list & let friends/ family know you have a wishlist.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:59 AM
Power Poster

Glad you brought this up. I don't like the prices of rulers. But I never seem to find a bargain on them.
Possibly Joann's with a coupon but I have most of the standard ones. I need the specialty ones and JF doesn't seem
to carry those.
I'll keep reading.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Honestly I don't think rulers are that expensive.