Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Keeping Your Rulers & Other Tools Clean >

Keeping Your Rulers & Other Tools Clean

Keeping Your Rulers & Other Tools Clean

Old 08-30-2017, 05:09 AM

Default Keeping Your Rulers & Other Tools Clean

How do you clean your tools? What do you use to clean your rulers? I hang my rulers up on a wall, next to a window, which is usually open during the summer. They tend to get a little grimy from dust and use. My sewing drawer of tools tends to get dirty over time too. Tips please!

~ C
Old 08-30-2017, 05:54 AM

I have not cleaned my rulers, but I have thought of making ahanging case to store them and my cutting mats in away from harm (and dust).

Mike

Old 08-30-2017, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Usually ruler dust will blow off or wipe off on the fabric when in use. LOL I've never noticed other tools getting dirty enough to bother me. If I do notice, I will rub them clean using a piece of fabric. Threads will get dusty faster then other items so I keep my thread stash in plastic boxes. I keep a cover on my machines when not using.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

I usually just use a damp kitchen cloth. I have used windex and paper towels to remove a sticky residue but followed it with the damp cloth so the ruler wasn't slippery.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:25 AM

I really only have dust and pet dander to deal with, and the pets aren't allowed into the sewing room so it's only what drifts in (which is plenty, since we have 3 mostly-indoor dogs & an indoor cat). I never have windows open in there, either. (2 don't open at all, and the 3rd is hard to reach.)

My rulers all hang on a rail above my cutting table, I've never had to dust them. I guess they get used enough to never build up any noticeable dust! (Or I am just dust-oblivious, which is also possible.)

Most everything else is in drawers - if I start noticing extra lint rolling around in a drawer I usually just blast the drawer out with canned air. I also periodically blast my pen cup that holds all my stilettos and blue water-erase ink pens near my machine. My table tops tend to get dusty in the corners, sometimes I'll bother to wipe those down.

Vacuuming takes care of the rest.

I don't look too closely at the things I have on display on top of my cabinets. They're probably very dusty, but I can't tell from the ground, so that means the dust doesn't exist!
Old 08-30-2017, 01:28 PM

I use the Swiffer cloths like dust cloths to wipe things down. I've never thought my rulers were dirty and needed to be cleaned.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Just some Windex occasionally. They don't really get dirty.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

I have never cleaned my rulers. The fabric dust just seems to fall off. I run a lint roller over my cutting mat.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 PM
Banned

I use baby wipes to clean my rulers, embroidery hoops, wiping down machines, whatever needs cleaning. With 4 grands under 2, there's always someone I can snag a pack of wipes from.

Cari
Old 08-30-2017, 09:08 PM

baby wipes here too