Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FMQ quilt drag >

FMQ quilt drag

FMQ quilt drag

Old 08-30-2017, 05:35 PM

Default FMQ quilt drag

I don't post much, but enjoy learning from you other quilters, so I read the board daily.

I have been learning to FMQ. I am working on a baby quilt with a flannel backing.

I purchased a Teflon oven sheet to place on the bed of the machine to facilitate the quilt sliding more easily during FMQ. Unfortunately, I find that the quilt doesn't slide any better on the Teflon sheet.

Is this because of the flannel backing, or do I have the wrong type of Teflon sheet? The surface is "bumpy", rather than slick. Is THIS the problem?

Thank you so much for your help! I'll post a pic when I have finished the quilt.

Judy
Old 08-30-2017, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

It could be the wrong type of Teflon sheet. Is it bumpy on both sides? I have bought different types of Teflon sheets for my oven over the years, and I cannot remember any of them being bumpy on either side. Also, flannel will probably never slide as easily as regular cotton.

What you might want to consider doing is elevating the quilt so that you have only a small area of the quilt in contact with the surface at any one time. Jenoop is a commercial setup that is available, but there are other ways to elevate. Someone recently posted how they attached long clamps to their sewing table instead of using PVC.

Here's a link to the thread about using long clamps, plus a link to the Jenoop:
Stop the Quilt Drag while FMQ
http://www.jennoop.com/suspenders.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJGph8am6BE
and one more
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOZpLy-Dpg

Last edited by Prism99; 08-30-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I really can't do FMQing without my Machinger gloves on. They help me move my quilt and I don't use anything on my machine bed but I do make sure all the quilt is supported on my table.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Power Poster

Are you sure you don't have parts of the quilt catching on the table edge? The area to be quilted needs to be free-moving and sometimes the overhanging parts keep that from happening.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Are you sure you don't have parts of the quilt catching on the table edge? The area to be quilted needs to be free-moving and sometimes the overhanging parts keep that from happening.
That's something I have to watch out for. I have to keep all of the quilt on the table even if it's bunched up a bit. If it hangs over the edge it always drags. The Machinger gloves are a real help, too.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Agree re the drag that can be created if even a bit hangs over the edge.
I find the most likely to create that, is what is between me and the needle.

You mentioned that the teflon was on the bed of the machine.
Is your machine set into a table? or are you working with an extension table?, and thus a smaller surface area, and the quilt hanging off it. That would create drag. Some have found creative ways to build up the area around the extension table to create a more surface. Or have found low-cost ways to set their machine into a table.

If you're wanting to get more "slip" on your surface, spray it with a silicone spray.
Just be careful that you do not have overspray onto the floor, or you will discover how slippery it really is!

Good Luck! .... and as oft is said, practice practice practice ... and you will soon feel more comfortable with FMQing!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:13 PM
Power Poster

Do you have the feed dogs lowered? Do you have the pressure on the presser foot all the way to the top? I quilt with gaarden gloves with rubber nubs.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:17 PM

I use an ironing board set perpendicular to the desk my machine is on when I quilt. It supports some of the weight of the quilt. That might help.... I only SITD though, so this might not help any at all.D

Dina
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 AM

Wow! I knew that I came to the right place. I am quilting on DSM that sits on a table. I TRY to keep the quilt from dragging, but, of course, I'm trying to pay attention to more than one thing at a time, so that's hard, too. I will try the silicone spray on the bed of the machine. I do have the feed dogs down. I have a printer sitting on my sewing table. I think I need to move it to another table and use the entire table so that I would reduce the drag of the entire quilt.

I will certainly look up the links that you provided.

I had my right shoulder replaced about 8 weeks ago and am in PT. I can feel it the next day after I've been pushing and pulling the quilt through the throat of the machine.

Many thanks to all for the great thoughts and advice. This quilt fulfills two of my bucket list items; pinwheel block and gender neutral colors. I'll post a pick when it's done and let you know how I finished the FMQ.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grandma7 View Post
.............I had my right shoulder replaced about 8 weeks ago and am in PT. I can feel it the next day after I've been pushing and pulling the quilt through the throat of the machine..............
Yikes!
My shoulders can bother me, and I don;t have a replacement.
So be careful you do undo your new shoulder with all of this activity.

As a hint ... I find that when I am FMQing, I like to sit higher than when I am piecing.
It seems to help my shoulders and back from tensing and stressing as much.
A good adjustable chair is worth its money..... for me I use a draftsman's chair, where the lowest is the highest of a typical stenographer's chair. The higher positions work good when I want to sit up to my cutting table and work. And in between is where I go for FMQing. Yes, I feel like Goldilocks ..... just right!

Good Luck!