Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batik-Arama >

Batik-Arama

Batik-Arama

Old 09-03-2017, 12:28 PM

Default Batik-Arama

I was shopping for batiks and was disappointed that there are so many themed designs. Lots of the designs are on the large size, too. Pine trees, turtles, flowers, checkered, fish. When do you use those designs? As you might guess, they are not my preference.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:50 PM

Not my preference either. They make interesting backs. Also used some recently in a Delectable Mountains table runner. With those batiks, you won't necessarily see the pattern, but the color changes make the blocks interesting.
Another Delectable Mountains table runner w/ 5" squares

Last edited by Faintly Artistic; 09-03-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM

I focused more on the predominate color than the patterns. Though I did fussy cut a 6 inch block to center a sea horse in the middle of the block in one quilt.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I was shopping for batiks and was disappointed that there are so many themed designs. Lots of the designs are on the large size, too. Pine trees, turtles, flowers, checkered, fish. When do you use those designs? As you might guess, they are not my preference.
Just like regular fabrics, there are lines of fabrics that some just love, and others say, what on earth would you do with that?

Look for a different brand/line/designer of batiks. Some lines have lots of smaller all over print/designs, or the smoooshes ans smudge styles. Whereas there are some that have been coming out with the larger patterns like what you found. Likewise, some have bright multi-colours, whereas some are very tonal and drab-like.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:41 AM

There are lots of themes out there. I agree that some seem a bit way out. I stay away from geometrics and stick with florals or what I call wandering patterns. The specific batik prints are used for themed quilts. We get a lot of ocean batiks in Florida.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:56 PM

Check out Batiks, Etc. in Wytheville, VA online. They have lots and lots of Batiks - I'm just glad they are a 2-hour Drive from my house!!!!

Sandy in Mooresville, NC
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM

I love batiks. Some of the ones with the large design I just do like others said and just cut them up for the color variations. My favorite batik shop is Lunn fabrics in Lancaster, OH. They actually design batiks for some of the major manufacturers. It is good that it is 2 hours away or I would probably have to file bankruptcy and be unable to walk into my sewing room. They do sell online. Lots of batiks you don't see elsewhere.