Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pounce Pad Question >

Pounce Pad Question

Pounce Pad Question

Old 09-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sephie View Post

I mark small sections at a time, and after marking, I spray with spray hairspray. It seems to help set the powder long enough to quilt it.
That's what I did too, except that I've only used on one quilt that big-stitched by hand, The hairspray worked like a charm, and both it, and the chalk (I used the blue) came right out in the wash.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by cathylynn View Post
didn't like the pounce - just did not work no matter how many times I ran it across the quilt! much prefer the Mark-B-Gone pens. the markings come right out with cold water.
Did you use the Mark-B-Gone with the stencils meant for Pouncing?
Old 09-08-2017, 05:52 AM

I think I'm going to try the hairspray trick, I haven't tried that before. That just might do it! Do they still make Aqua-Net? LOL

I did have to pound the bejebus out of my pounce pads to get them started. I actually cheated a bit and set them on top of the dryer for a couple weeks and let that vibration help shake the chalk down into the pad. It helped, but still took a LOT of pounding to get it really going.

My FMQ foot is the type that "glides", rather than hopping - just the needle punching in and out of the fabric is enough to scatter the chalk lines! And of course I'd marked the whole quilt without testing anything when I discovered this. (One of these days, I will learn to test things before going whole-hog...)

I really want it to work, if for no other reason than I bought a bunch of those mesh screen stencils that I really like at a show a couple years ago, and they don't seem to work with anything else! I tried my precious blue pens and no joy there.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
don't use blue! I tried that and could not get it all out. Very diappointed
I also had that problem, but it was only in areas where I got a little heavy handed with the pouncing.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:34 AM

Red face Pounce Pads

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Thinking about trying a Pounce Pad to mark some baby quilts. Do you "pounce" the whole quilt at one time or just a section? I'll be putting the quilts on my Grace frame and quilting with a 9" throat Janome machine. I'm thinking a section at a time?? Also is there a color of Pounce chalk to stay away from? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.
I LOVE my pounce pad! I use only the white powder that will iron away as the blue and pink should not be ironed at all. It is so easy to use. I fill the pad with the white powder (by the way, I would stay away from using talcum or baby powder as it is gummy), tap the pad on my hand a time or two, then run it across the stencil. It leaves a clear white mark that I can easily follow for quilting. I use it mainly on borders and mark only one or two sides at a time. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the pouncing system!
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM

i typically only pounce registration marks, I use white only, with a foam paint brush (I keep the pounce chalk in a plastic tub and dip the brush and then knock it against the side) . Only mark what you will quilt on that part that you will quilt on that roll of the quilt .