Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Ah geez, I am a smurf. Help me? >

Ah geez, I am a smurf. Help me?

Ah geez, I am a smurf. Help me?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM

Default Ah geez, I am a smurf. Help me?

I bought three beautiful tunics with lace insets (same design, 3 different colors), from a big box store, that I just love. I do not want to return them, if I can fix the problem. The blouses were all made from white rayon material, then dyed in deep jewel tones, which is why I do not want to return them if I can fix the problem. I do wash everything new in my regular laundry detergent to remove any sizing, and no longer use dryer sheets. I wore the deep china blue one yesterday, and was shocked when I changed into my nightie last night to find that I now have blue skin everywhere the shirt touched me (my white bra is also now blue). No irritation, just blue skin. I tried baby wipes, a shower with bar soap (and liquid body wash), and I am still a Smurf. I am currently soaking all of them in separate buckets of plain cold water, and am not sure if I should add vinegar, salt, Synthropol, Retayne or just what, to set the colors I figure my skin will fade with a couple more showers. I just know someone here can give me ideas to set the colors.

Last edited by madamekelly; 09-11-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 AM
Power Poster

I would just keep soaking them in warm water (maybe with a touch of Dawn added?) - change the water when it turns color - and keep doing that until the water runs clear.

If - after five or so of these soakings - I would return them as "defective" (with the receipt)- and if the customer service manager gives you a hassle - call corporate - and talk as loudly as you can!
Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

If the problem is excess dye in the fabric, Synthrapol added to the water will help. Although it is most effective in hot water (which you don't want to use with rayon), it still works somewhat in warm and cold water. If you don't have Synthrapol handy, Dawn dishwashing liquid has a similar action. You don't need a lot of it -- maybe a teaspoon to a couple of gallons of water.

If the problem is that the dyes were never actually set, it's possible that nothing will help. Retayne can set dyes; however, it is usually used in hot water and it is recommended for cottons, not synthetic fabrics.

What you describe is crocking (transfer of dye when fabric is dry). This is usually caused by excess dye in the fabric that did not get rinsed away. I would try the Synthrapol or Dawn. Maybe soak for half a day, periodically agitating, then rinse it all out. If there is any color in the wash water, repeat the process. It can take several times to get all the excess dye out. If the fabrics never stop bleeding, your last resort is Retayne. If that doesn't work, nothing will.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:17 PM

My daughter has the same trouble with her skin turning blue when she buys new jeans. It eventually washes off but for a while she has blue legs. Luckily the coloring does not rub off on her furniture.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:41 AM

Oh boy, I can only imagine your reaction. Good luck with the home remedies.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:37 AM

When I dyed my hands red with Jello years ago while making home-made popsicles for my kids, I used a quick dip with bleach. Worked fine thankfully, as I had to go to a business meeting afterwards. This is only for your skin though!! Not sure what would set the color on the fabric.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:24 AM

Hand sanitizer removes some hard to remove dyes from skin. You might try that.

I agree with soaking them until the water run clear with perhaps some laundry detergent. I've never used synthrapol, but that might be an alternative.