Dritz vs Clover Products

Old 09-23-2017, 01:56 PM

Default Dritz vs Clover Products

Someone on the Board write about self-threading hand needles and I thought I'd acquire some since needle threading is becoming more of a challenge. So I picked some up on my latest trip to Joann Fabrics. They are made by Dritz. And unfortunately they are another shining example of a product made from crummy, cheap material. There are 6 needles (various sizes) and they all struggle to get through a piece of cotton.

Do any of you endorse Clover products? They seem to offer lots of the same Dritz-like products and I'll switch over to Clover if that makes sense.

Or are Clover products just as bad as Dritz and you have another product to suggest?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-23-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: language
Old 09-23-2017, 06:32 PM
Power Poster

I have found duds occasionally in pins and needles. If the whole package is bad JoAnn's will probably give you a refund. I took back a box of flower head pins once for that reason. It seemed like none of them had been sharpened. I think on the whole I've had better luck with Clover products, but I haven't really been keeping track.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
Do any of you endorse Clover products? They seem to offer lots of the same Dritz-like products and I'll switch over to Clover if that makes sense.

Or are Clover products just as bad as Dritz and you have another product to suggest?
Don't give up. I've read that John James needles are of a high quality. There is also Colonial Needle.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:55 PM

I love Clover products
Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 PM

elan stated: Don't give up. I've read that John James needles are of a high quality. There is also Colonial Needle. [not sure if Colonial is made here, USA, but John James I believe are from England]
I also love Roxanne needles.

I love both of these products but around here they are not available so I buy them on line.
I am not a fan of Dritz, but would pick Clover over them or do without if I'm buying locally.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:59 PM

If you want a good, solid, easy to thread needle try the spiral eye needle. I've had a set for years now and I love them.

http://www.spiraleyeneedles.com/

as for Dritz/clover products as a whole ... I like them both. I love Dritz glass Head pins and I love my clover ripper. So I guess it depends on the specific product.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 PM

Boy, I wonder if Dritz has gone downhill. I can only speak in relation to Dritz Diaper Pins, which I used on my youngest, and boy do they ever make great diaper pins! Or at least they used to. So sharp (one of the sharpest brands of pins I've used), and so well made.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
If you want a good, solid, easy to thread needle try the spiral eye needle. I've had a set for years now and I love them.

as for Dritz/clover products as a whole ... I like them both. I love Dritz glass Head pins and I love my clover ripper. So I guess it depends on the specific product.
. Thx for this site info....I just ordered. Had to have some reason for being awake at this hour!!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:46 AM

Just ordered some Spiral Eye needles. I'm so glad I posted my question. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post

Wow - I have to order some of these. I love to do red work and this would be perfect. Thanks.