Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me decide how to quilt this >

Help me decide how to quilt this

Help me decide how to quilt this

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 AM

Default Help me decide how to quilt this

I have been staring at this for a while now, please give me some input on quilting😉
Attached Thumbnails img_1594.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Hand, DSM, or longarm? I personally would big stitch hand quilt it (maybe Baptist Fans), but not everyone does that
Old 09-24-2017, 08:13 AM

LOL I am no help because as a beginner I can only meander, stipple and loops to actually make it look good. But I love your quilt top!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Faintly Artistic View Post
Hand, DSM, or longarm? I personally would big stitch hand quilt it (maybe Baptist Fans), but not everyone does that
Dsm, free motion. Wish I could handquilt ��
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:38 AM

I am not good w/ the line drawer and the mouse but this is an idea of what I saw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]581088[/ATTACH]
In the blue sashing areas I would do an the chevron in all 4 directions basically echoing the lines. In the white sashing the lines of beads or circles the size of the squares then the big messy drawing only represents a continuous line medallion.
Attached Thumbnails q01.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

What a lovely quilt! I think your choice of designs depends a lot on your skill level and what kind of quilting you like. Curves or straight lines? Heavy quilting or light? Custom quilting to fit the blocks or an all-over design? It will be beautiful whatever you decide.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I am not good w/ the line drawer and the mouse but this is an idea of what I saw.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]581088[/ATTACH]
In the blue sashing areas I would do an the chevron in all 4 directions basically echoing the lines. In the white sashing the lines of beads or circles the size of the squares then the big messy drawing only represents a continuous line medallion.
Thank you! It's the blue that I was stumped on ! Wanted to see how I could highlight those areas along with the stars
Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
What a lovely quilt! I think your choice of designs depends a lot on your skill level and what kind of quilting you like. Curves or straight lines? Heavy quilting or light? Custom quilting to fit the blocks or an all-over design? It will be beautiful whatever you decide.
Trying to grow my skill level, i am trying to fogure out the bestdesign for something individual, not too heavily quilted
Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 PM

I like Kassaundra's idea but would want to have the star cornerstones really stand out, so would probably only SID with them and then do a tight chevron on the blue sashings. Individual motifs on the blocks---I would do continous curves on the red & Blues to form a curved X and then either do a straight line (long ways) though the tan or more if wanting denser quilting, or a chevron in the tan to continue the chevron idea from the blue in the sashings.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Pretty top! I would SITD the blue dashing to stabilize it first. I then would did the orange peel continuous design in the 16 patches but I would do angles instead of curves so they look like stars. I would do the chevrons in the blue borders following the center squares. Since that is a lot of straight lines, I would use my ruler foot and ruler so I wouldn't have to turn the quilt.