Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has Anyone Made a French Rose Quilt? >

Has Anyone Made a French Rose Quilt?

Has Anyone Made a French Rose Quilt?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Suz

Default Has Anyone Made a French Rose Quilt?

I think these quilt blocks are just sweet and look somewhat easy to do. Anyone tried one? There are alot shown on Pinterest.

Patterns are available to make these "wobbley" petals where it appears the first stencil is largest, the second one is cut from within the largest, then the third from the second and last the fourth. My question then is, are we to add a 1/2"??? seam allowance so that when layered, the bottom one is covered when stitched. The instructions say to stitch 1/2" from the outer edge of the petal.

Hope someone in our "quilting family" has some advice and experience with them. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:06 AM

I wish to make one of these myself. I have found some info on Pinterest but I don't have enough instruction to attempt making a French Rose quite yet. I will be watching this thread. Thanks for starting it.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

do a search here. there have been postings before on this pattern.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:47 AM

I have made several in the past in various sizes from crib quilts to queen for a wedding gift. I did not add an extra 1/2" because the pattern I had at the time said that it was not needed to be added. That said, though, I have varied the sizes of each layer and the overall design to fit what I wanted. It's easy enough to design freehand if you'd like. I think you'll really like the method and your quilt when you are finished.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 AM

Hi Suz,

If this is the pattern you are talking about I cut the three different size roses and then stitched 1/4 inch from the edge on the largest one then put next smaller one on top of that and again stitched 1/4 inch from the raw edge and then added the last smallest one and stitched 1/4 inch away from raw edge again. This runner has been washed many time and still holding up great. This was so fun to make.
If this isn't the pattern you are talking about - I apologize.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]581237[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581238[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581239[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails bailey-277.jpg   bailey-290.jpg   bailey-295.jpg  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:06 AM
Suz

Ladies, thank you for your responses. Yes, Bailey, your runner is exactly what I was talking about. I really like the way you positioned the roses to spill onto the pink frame and how you kept changing the leaf positions. Beautiful and thanks for all the instructions.

Last edited by Suz; 09-28-2017 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

The quilt and kitty are beautiful!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 04:49 AM

I have this pattern and thought it wouldn't hold up with washing so I'm glad to hear that it does. Someone on the board made one and I bought the pattern off eBay or Amazon. French Roses by Heather French.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:23 AM

This is on my bucket list of quilts to do. I bought the pattern last year and have collected some sweet pastel florals for roses. Please post pictures when you get finished.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:34 AM
Suz

I just had a "ah ha moment"!!

I have been watching for a special quilt pattern for a GGD who is blind and autistic. This is it! She will be able to feel the texture of the roses. I will use Bailey's idea of putting an inside border (pink frame) at the twin size to assist in making the bed. She is too young to making her bed at this time, but in the future . . . . Now to pull fabrics and start making the roses. I too will use pastels. Wow! I am so excited. She is a very special child and will enjoy this special quilt.