Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Triangle Frenzy pattern - question >

Triangle Frenzy pattern - question

Triangle Frenzy pattern - question

Old 10-05-2017, 07:20 AM

Default Triangle Frenzy pattern - question

I have the pattern and it says use a 60 degree ruler. In looking at websites to order one, I see there are several sizes of those rulers. I actually have a 6 inch one that some very nice person sent me as part of a board gift, but there are larger ones available - and the pattern is not specific on size. For those who have made this, what size ruler did you use? Thanks !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-05-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 10-05-2017, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I don't have the pattern so can't help. But I do know that size is not the only thing that can be different in 60 degree rulers. Some of the rulers are marked in inch increments along the edge (measuring the length of the edge), others are marked in inch increments from the center of the base to the tip (measuring the height of the triangle).This does make a huge difference if you are using the markings on the ruler. Also some of them have a blunt tip, and others have a sharp tip. The sharp tip is better for some patterns, the blunt tip for others. If you read through your pattern you may be able to figure out which type markings and tip you need.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I wish I could tell you but I can't. I bought the pattern AND the ruler- the ruler is big, that much I know. I want to make a runner for my sister. I have everything somewhere in that mess of mine
Someone is sure to help though- there have been other posts.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:56 AM

How wide is the fabric you want to use? I've done it using a 60 deg ruler, and also just using the 60 deg mark on a larger ruler. The ones I did - I think I used about 15" widths, so when I used a 60 deg ruler, I'd put a longer ruler on the side, move the angle one out of the way and make my cut.

When I do this pattern, I precut my fabric into the width I want - since usually I'm using a stripe fabric and need to cut it into lengthwise pieces first.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:12 AM

I think it pretty well depends on how wide the stripe is on your fabric -- I cut the stripe the way I want it to be, then cut my triangles. I must warn you about yardage of your fabric, though most of the time you can get at least three complete stripes. After all these words of "wisdom," I must admit I have not made the triangle frenzy pattern yet. I've taught the striped tablerunner, and feel the method would be much the same.

Linda in Missouri
Old 10-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

This is the ruler I bought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEyUqP9drA
Old 10-05-2017, 09:18 AM
Power Poster

This is good also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2x2ll6T60Q
Old 10-05-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
I have the pattern and it says use a 60 degree ruler. In looking at websites to order one, I see there are several sizes of those rulers. I actually have a 6 inch one that some very nice person sent me as part of a board gift, but there are larger ones available - and the pattern is not specific on size. For those who have made this, what size ruler did you use? Thanks !
Rennie,

The larger rulers make it easier to cut wider strips. However, you can still use the 6" ruler for wider strips it just takes an extra step. Line up the point of the ruler where you want then using a longer straight ruler but up against the 60 degree ruler so you have the correct angle that goes the width of the strip. Move the 60 degree ruler out of the way and cut the long edge. Hopefully I explained that so it makes sense. I would try it this way before investing in a larger ruler, just in case you don't think it's something you will use regularly.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 PM

I used a 60 degree that was 10"--but I think what does make some difference is the width of the border stripe you are using--you'll want to be able to cut the whole width of the stripe without holding 2 rulers while cutting. So a 3" stripe needs a smaller ruler than larger stripe, etc. (think on mine I had an 7" stripe and just adjusted my ruler).
Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 PM

I love the triangle frenzy!! Have made quite a few. I have the larger triangle ruler so that I can use it on any size print. The size of your triangles depends on the repeat of your stripes. They are so much fun!! Ann