Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Painting on Fabric >

Painting on Fabric

Painting on Fabric

Old 10-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Default Painting on Fabric

My husband is an artist and wants to do a painting for me to quilt.

Can I just buy regular good white cotton and wash it?

And, what are good fabric paints to purchase?

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

Watson
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 AM

Moda makes a white that is used for photo transfer that is a little bit more sturdy. And if he likes to water color Dewent Inktense pencils or sticks work great--depending on the amount put down and the use of a fabric medium to treat fabric for more colorfastness, the intensity will vary. Know there are other great paints out there, but that's the only one I have experience with.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:56 AM

Buy kona pfd(prepared for dye) fabric
Old 10-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Setacolor, jaquard, intense pencils, tsukineko ink, if you need tips I am most familiar with intense and tsukineko inks
Old 10-13-2017, 08:48 AM

Look into Dharma trading online. They are a great supply house for dying, fabric painting, etc. Their website has great information as well as their catalog. You can order fabric and paints from them.
No affiliated, just a very satisfied customer.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 PM

I was wandering through a Blick's Art materials store, and they had a whole bunch of different brands, and types within the brands. If you live in a large enough city, try going to an art store and asking around. If your husband's an artist, I'm sure he must know where the best store is. Lol, I mean, you know where the *fabric* store is, right???
Old 10-14-2017, 06:53 PM

I use Dewent Inktense pencils or sticks. They work great--depending on the amount put down and the use of different fabric mediums to control flow (bleed). You can apply finishes to obtain gloss or matte They look like pencils, but they are permanent ink. (They have a watercolor set, but I never bought them). The sticks look like pastels and are creamy and hard (for me) to use, but are necessary. Buy the largest pack of ALL the colors because they last a long time and you cant buy individual colors. I've never seen them on sale. I LOVE them, and have little to no talent, but a real artist, could create breathtaking results. I use regular cotton, no PDF required. If you buy the derwent inktense pencils & sticks & an 11oz bottle of "textile medium" & some flat brushes that is all you need to get started into this wonderful fiber arts world. (I worried and researched and procrastinated too long to start, You Tube videos of users with dramatic results gave me the courage to leap)