Kenmore C877.50 ???/

Old 10-18-2017, 06:40 AM

Question Kenmore C877.50 ???/

I was gifted a Kenmore C877.50 sewing machine (have attached photos) - Canadian.

I have had no success whatsoever finding the equivilant USA model number, no luck finding a users manual. No luck on Utube, Google, checked all the links regarding Sears, Simpson, Kenmore, "badgered"..etc.

Please Help!!! If anyone has more info I would so appreciate assistance. I am determined to get this up and running because...its a heavy weight machine with no major plastic parts inside that I can see, I have an extra motor, I'm pretty good at field stripping sewing machines but would like a manual before I start fiddling with this.
I am frustrated with the short shelf life of newer sewing machines (Elna, Singer, Brother).

I am a new member and and very pleased to have found this site!!
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-1.jpg   kenmore-2.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Welcome aboard. I can't help you with this machines , but others will. I just wanted to compliment you for using a picture and a model #. Great start. Others will chime in and give you some guidance.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:11 PM

Oh lordy I hope so.....it's a mess at the moment and I would like to be prepared for how this machine works before I loosen a single screw etc. I've been fixing my own sewing machines since I was five years old so I'm not intimidated, just cautious.

Thank you for the welcome...
Old 10-18-2017, 04:42 PM

I was told to always use the numbers after the period to represent the model number. From looking at your's, I'd say a straight stitch class 15 with drop feed. I don't know if there ever was a model 50 Kenmore.

If I started fixing Mama's sewing machine when I was 5 years old, I would have had my rear end warmed considerably. That was the age one of my brother's was when he started fixin all the doorknobs in the house.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by manymany View Post
Oh lordy I hope so.....it's a mess at the moment and I would like to be prepared for how this machine works before I loosen a single screw etc. I've been fixing my own sewing machines since I was five years old so I'm not intimidated, just cautious.

Thank you for the welcome...
Welcome from me, too. I really can't help either. My Kenmore machines are probably later than this one.

From my understanding the Simpson machines seem to be different the USA Kenmore machines. It may be possible there is a 148 series that might be similar.

I did this search
lhttps://www.google.com/search?q=c877+site:quiltingboard.com&num=50&lr=lan g_en&hl=en&as_qdr=all&tbs=lr:lang_1en&filter=0&biw =905&bih=533&dpr=1.13
It seems like there is very little about the C877 Kenmores. One that may have a link for 1957 Simpson catalog
Kenmore C877.701

I don't do facebook, so don't know if any of the vintage machine pages have something that might help. I know some old Yahoo Groups have some good information, but I don't know about the Kenmore group.

Good luck. It looks like a good machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Banned

A machine like this I can't believe there's anything wrong with it that a cleaning/oiling won't fix, including the motor. As far as a manual, I don't know what it will tell you that we can't. The lever is your forward/reverse, the knob and window are for the stitch length, the knob on the top left above the face plate is for presser foot pressure,and the knob on the bed is the feed dog drop. it threads just like any other machine: thread guide, upper tension, take up, thread guide(s) and needle. Since it's an end loader pay attention to how the needle is set and threaded so you can replace it the same way.

Cari
Old 10-18-2017, 05:38 PM

I just checked and there is a Kenmore model 50 ( https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/p...M/L1004601.pdf )and it is a zig zag machine with buttonhole.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:06 PM

This is a good looking machine. I googled for it and found one or several. Don't give it up. I can't help you either.
There are several here that will tell you everything you need. Pretty too.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
I just checked and there is a Kenmore model 50 ( https://c.searspartsdirect.com/mmh/p...M/L1004601.pdf )and it is a zig zag machine with buttonhole.

Just adding a bit more information on the US Kenmore model. I own this machine. It is silvery lavender and the model number is 158 504.

No promises that you'll find your manual here but this is a good place to find manuals for lots of things. https://www.manualslib.com/k/kenmore...g+machine.html

Welcome and good luck manymany.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Cool Viking ...My next project

My doll clothes were meticulously sewn on the same Singer 201 dressmaker machine that was purchased the week I was born. It was always my own sewing machine, I still have it. I was taught to sew and maintain my own equipment from day one. Everyone sewed in the family, with Rolls Royce tastes on a wheelbarrow budget .. any outfit coveted in the catalogs or magazines could be copied and worn in a a day or two. I thought every family had a room full of fabric.bolts...there was a never ending choice of material .. and machines...the Goodwill rocked even in the 60's for thrift store machines.

This blog is already convincing me its time to start adding more machines to my small collection and expanding my horizons from Singers to anything cool that I can lay my hands on!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 20171018_230154.jpg   20171018_230226.jpg