Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Aluminum and magnesium Domestics >

Aluminum and magnesium Domestics

Aluminum and magnesium Domestics

Old 10-18-2017, 08:32 AM

Default Aluminum and magnesium Domestics

I have an aluminum Domestic and have read that magnesium ones exist. Does anyone here use one?

How does one determine if it is magnesium? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:07 AM

I'm not sure if there are any tests to tell the various alloys appart. When they talk about magnesium bike frames it's often a particular aluminium-magnesium alloy; tubes made from various factories to set standards. Magnesium makes the alloy stronger and stiffer. I don't know how much of an advantage magnesium would be in one of the old straight stitcher models, the thick casting of the body added a lot to it's stability and sturdiness. I know the old magnesium frames didn't hold up in the long run, and I don't know what they did to improve on it (old meaning ca. 1980). Every other year I read there are lots of research and improvements on this, but I have yet to see a magnesium bike frame in front of me. On the other hand there are lots of aluminium and carbon frames, very few titanium frames, but still quite a lot carbon steel tubing on the roads. I'm side tracking quite a bit here, but experimentations with metals often have parallel lines of development.

Last edited by Mickey2; 10-18-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:49 AM

I am a bike too and have been following the changes there. Drooled over some titanium, but only have steel and aluminum ones. I suppose I could knock off a chip and see if it burns.[ATTACH=CONFIG]582433[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails trisha-first-pf-lesson.jpg  
Old 10-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Your bike looks fun, I like it a lot. I have seen the tall version of it, a sort of dare devil sport :- )

Magnesium burns, I didn't think of that. I looked it up and it's 2/3 of the weight of aluminium, I assume it's still hard to tell by just looking at it and holding it. I have a black cast iron 201 and a beige aluminium 201, the weight difference is very noticeable. I struggled a lot to carry my cast iron in it's small table down the stairs, but the aluminium 201 in a different table ( about the same size) was an easy job. I didin't know they every made them in magnesium. Does it light up as easily as magnesium ribbons do?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:58 PM

Leon, I think the magnesium ones have MG in the serial number. White 77 and Domestic 153 are the models that came in magnesium models.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Thanks Janey. one more think to keep any eye out for.

Mickey 2. I also have a 38 inch which is much easier for me to ride. The one pictured is 28 I used it for a training wheel for people who want to ride bigger. If I was better I'd put miles on my 48. Not yet.