Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Going to Bar Harbor Maine.  Suggested places to visit? >

Going to Bar Harbor Maine. Suggested places to visit?

Going to Bar Harbor Maine. Suggested places to visit?

Old 10-24-2017, 05:35 AM

Default Going to Bar Harbor Maine. Suggested places to visit?

DH and I are going to Bar Harbor, Maine within the next week. I was wondering if you can suggest places we should visit; fabric shops, as well as main attractions.

It's about an 11 hour drive. So, we're going to make a real road trip of it and stay somewhere along the way and way back. I don't know how many days recovery I'd need if we drove all 11 hours in one day.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
DH and I are going to Bar Harbor, Maine within the next week. I was wondering if you can suggest places we should visit; fabric shops, as well as main attractions.

It's about an 11 hour drive. So, we're going to make a real road trip of it and stay somewhere along the way and way back. I don't know how many days recovery I'd need if we drove all 11 hours in one day.

Thanks in advance!

I live in Maine! If you are driving from the south along I 295, stop in Freeport Maine. Lots of discount outlet shops and the headquarters to LL Bean. You can choose to drive on I295 or I95 when you get to Maine. I prefer 295. They have cheaper tolls and better scenery. Freeport also has a cute little quilt shop called Cotton Weeds Quilt shop that I visit when I am there.

On Route 1 in Trenton, on the way to Bar Harbor there is a nice shop called Sewing by the Sea. I have been there a few times and I really like it.

In Bar Harbor definitely check out Acadia National Park. So gorgeous in the fall. Take a drive to the top of Cadillac Mountain. There is tons to do in town Bar Harbor. Lots of shops and boat rides. Keep in mind that tourist season is winding down there so I am not sure what shops will still be open.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:33 AM

And check internet for Mardens. Some of their locations have fabric at good prices. Kittery is outlet capitol. North of Kittery on route 1 is Stonewall Kitchens. Major store for anything used in the kitchen. I usually load up with jelly and jams.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:33 AM
anonymous

We have done fall trips to Maine the last few years. Beautiful state. One of my favorite shops is Alewives, 10 Main St. Nobleboro, ME, 04555. I think still over 2 hours from Bar Harbor, so might not work for you, but it's a good one.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM

We loved Bar Harbor! Hiking in Acadia National Park-there are less strenuous paths for those of us who need them, and a trip to Jordan Pond House for tea and goodies is a great treat while hiking. Visit a lobster pound- the one we liked the best was right before you cross the bridge to Bar Harbor. You choose your live lobster, they tag it with your name and cook it in big pots outside. We also took a ride on a working lobster boat- the guide was incredible, and we learned a lot! Not sure if its too late in the season for that though....its a gorgeous town, very walkable. We stopped along the way there to see lighthouses and eat lobstah rolls....yum! If you haven’t done so, go to tripadvisorand read reviews.....and have fun! Yes, we are planning a return trip!
Old 10-26-2017, 05:43 AM

I also live in Maine and would suggest that you make the complete loop around Arcadia National Park. I had only been up there three times in the time I've lived up here and my CT son and my dear DIL took me into the Park, I have a new lifetime pass for only $10 at the time, BUT he also made the loop to the smaller towns of Northeast and I think Southwest Harbor's. We had a wonderful lobster dinner of the pier in one of them and it was just a wonderful experience.

Since my DIL is also a quilter, we found the only quilt shop I think is in Bar Harbor and then had some wonderful products. Wish I could give you direct ways to get there but there is a bus, at least in the summer but the season might be over now, that takes you all around the area and into the Park which is the most beautiful spot I've ever seen. Be sure and check out Thunder Hole in the Park. When the waves come in they hit that spot and sound like thunder but don't get too close or you will get wet if it's an angry sea.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:11 AM

Every place we've ever traveled in Maine is gorgeous. We have been to Bar Harbor and all around Acadia. The Park is outstanding. Yes, make sure you check out Thunder Hole and Sands Beach. It would be a shame not to experience sunrise on Mt. Cadillac but be sure to dress for it. It can be bone chilling that time of day.

As someone mentioned, make it a point to stop at a Marden's store. The prices on first quality fabric is better than any place I've ever seen. Don't be mislead by the appearance of the stores; this is how they keep merchandise so affordable.

We usually spend our vacations in the Wells, Maine area on the southern coast. If you get there, you are just a stones throw from the Kittery Outlets and in the other direction, Kennebunkport. Kennebunkport has a quilt shop but have never stopped in. If you get to York Beach, you must check out the beautiful Nubble Lighthouse. Also, right next door to Wells is Ogunquit. There are quaint shops there and theatre if that interests you. Down around the waterfront in Ogunquit is the Marginal Way which is a beautiful, nicely maintained scenic walk that most anyone would be able to do. If you do get around the southern coast, be sure to stop at Knight's Quilt Shop on US 1, north of York and just south of Ogunquit. It is closed on Tuesdays.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:50 AM

Got to hit Mardens. I'm from Massachusetts and many people travel from near and far to go to Mardens for their fabric. I make the trip at least twice a year and spend $200-$300 each time. They have excellent prices on fabric but check to see if the Mardens you go to has fabric, I don't think they all do. I usually go to the one in Sanford, ME. Have fun!
Old 10-26-2017, 08:19 AM

Mardens in Sanford recently had 4 tables of fabric from Texas floods. I saw no damage. Excellent prices. Good quality solids for $1.79 a yd. others at $3.99.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:20 PM

I can't help, but we loved bar harbor. Went a number of times and are thinking of going next summer. I will watch the answers and perhaps visit some quilt shops when we go. Enjoy your road trip.