Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18 >

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18

Old 11-03-2017, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
I know myself and I hate the tediousness of making the same block over and over. So I make the BH mystery as the clues come out w/ all the excitement of everyone doing their reveals of each step b/c w/o that I would never get it finished. This will be my 3rd, I only watched (thankfully) for the Grand Illusion. For Altierre I made all the clues, for En Provence I made 2/3rds, I am planning on 2/3rds again for Ringo Lake.
How big of a quilt did you get from 2/3rds? I definately don't want to make a queen size, I usually make lap size quilts from about 48-60 to 60-72.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
That's it sewbizgirl, the browns remind me of the Midwest. We Mississippi girls have mostly red clay dirt. I keep thinking of Florida Sunsets where the ski is opal colors. Maybe a dark blue will do for the contrast. I love seeing everyone's pulls. Today I get the paint chips.
Yes, I think a navy blues would work great as the dark! I even toyed with very dark greens, but I didn't feel like dark green would be 'dark neutral' in that case and introduce more of a color.

I also thought you could use a deep charcoal too. I think with that though you might need to use neutrals that are on the cool side. I think charcoal, coral, aqua and cool neutrals would definitely give it a modern feel!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
How big of a quilt did you get from 2/3rds? I definately don't want to make a queen size, I usually make lap size quilts from about 48-60 to 60-72.
With En Provence, Bonnie's full pattern measured at 87"x87" and my 2/3 size came to about 60"x80", before the boards I added on myself. With this year's MQ measuring at 75"x90", a half size will probably make about the size you are looking for.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
What is everyone using for the Rulers Bonnie suggested? I have a easy angle/companion ruler combo, so I think that will replace her Essensial Triangle tool, but I was amazed at the price for the other ruler! I went ahead and bought it anyway, as Bonnie said she saved a lot of time and fabric with it, but wowzeer on the price! I didn't realize how much specialty rulers cost. There's my Christmas present for myself
I already had 2 rulers that I think can do similar jobs.

1) A ruler by Kimberly Einmo that does the geese and triangles. I think it's called the EZ triangle & geese ruler.

2) Corner Pop Ruler by Deb Tucker. You cut the units as squares and then use the ruler to trim off the appropriate corner.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Too funny - I am walking through a fabric store this morning with some bolts, and a woman passes me on the way to the cutting tables, she smiles and holds up her fabrics and says "Bonnie Hunter"! So we proceeded to compare our choices. It just cracked me up:-)

Here are my fabrics, I think:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583323[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 20171103_111136-800x600.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:50 AM

Mine ended up being 70x86 it had 12 blocks, 3 across and 4 down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583324[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]583325[/ATTACH]

I thought I did 2/3rds but maybe it was 3/4ths.
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1047.jpg   dsc_1050.jpg  
Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 AM

Beautiful choices Theresa! I'm off to the quilt store this afternoon to hopefully get the corals, hope I can find some as pretty as yours.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 AM

Kass, that's absolutely gorgeous!!!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:09 AM

I love how yours turned out Kass! It was very original! Isn't it great how just a few tweaks can make a whole new look!

Here's mine from last year.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 11-03-2017, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
What is everyone using for the Rulers Bonnie suggested? I have a easy angle/companion ruler combo, so I think that will replace her Essensial Triangle tool, but I was amazed at the price for the other ruler! I went ahead and bought it anyway, as Bonnie said she saved a lot of time and fabric with it, but wowzeer on the price! I didn't realize how much specialty rulers cost. There's my Christmas present for myself
the easy angle and companion angle have more than earned their price. 24.00 for the Leko corner ruler is way outside my pocket.
I ordered the "folded corner clipper" by Prairie Sky Quilting for 12.00 including shipping off ebay. It just does the corner clipper lines, but that is all I need, great invention. I think Leko's might do a lot more, but it would also confuse me

Prairie Sky Quilting