Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaking with FMQ >

Thread breaking with FMQ

Thread breaking with FMQ

Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Default Thread breaking with FMQ

My thread keep breaking while FMQ. At the break, it is shredded. I'm using Sulky 30 wt in top and bobbin. 90/14 top stitch needle. What could be wrong? I cleaned the machine and it's a new needle. Also what's the rule about the real big stitches vs. the tiny ones? I know it has to do with the speed of the hands and/or foot pedal. TIA
Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 PM

Maybe there is a bad spot on the bobbin, needle, needle plate or another place where the thread goes thru. Are you sure you have the bobbin threaded correctly? Maybe you are going too fast. Ha, I don't know. I hope someone will get on here to help you.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

If you move your hands fast and slow your machine down, then your stitches will get bigger. If you speed up your machine and slow your hands down, your stitches will bet smaller.

Shredding thread could be due to a number of different issues. The first thing I would do is switch to a 100/16 top stitch needle to see if that helps. Also try re-threading your machine. Shredded thread can also happen if your machine is going too fast for your hands-- taking too many small stitches in one place can sometimes pierce the thread, causing it to shred. And sometimes sudden changes of direction or speed of your hands can lead to shredding thread if you get out of synch with your machine so the fabric is being moved after the needle comes up, but before the stitch is actually completed when the thread comes off the hook.

Depending on the kind of bobbin you have (horizontal drop in, vertical front loading, or vertical side loading) your machine may be a little more fussy when FMQ in one direction and that can also sometimes lead to thread shredding. Try to figure out if the thread is only shredding when you move the fabric in a specific direction, if so, then just slightly angling the fabric when you need to move it in that direction may help.

Rob
Old 11-05-2017, 12:50 PM
DJ

I had the same problem and was advised at the quilt shop to use a quilting needle rather than a top stitch needle...whatever!... I didn't think it would work; I was too lazy to go out and buy one ('cause I didn't think it would help anyway); DH saw my frustration and offered to go get one for me.

YAY! It seemed to fix my problem. I hope you find your solution.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
The first thing I would do is switch to a 100/16 top stitch needle to see if that helps.
Agree 100%.

I also would like to point out that the reason why so many people recommend top stitch needles is because the eye of the needle is larger, and the scarf is longer. As you can imagine, sewing (especially at high longarm quilting speeds) puts a LOT of friction on the thread. The scarf is an indentation in the needle that runs down the length of the needle. This gives the thread a protected place to lay as it moves in and out of the fabric.

Last edited by Peckish; 11-05-2017 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:58 PM

Definitely try everything Rob said. For my FMQ on a horizontal drop bobbin machine, I had trouble with skipped stitches and breaking thread when I moved the quilt in a certain direction. Now I FMQ on a vertical side loading bobbin and I don't have those issues. Just a heads up, I know most people love the top stitch needles-- for me it actually made matters worse because the eye was so big that the thread would twist around the needle. Another thing that helped me was using another darning foot-- for some reason the spring was better or something. Anyway it improved 90% with another foot. Good luck!!
Old 11-05-2017, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

Also try loosening top tension.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:22 PM

that is big thread and a small needle. I would chose a larger needle, 16 or even 18 for a size 30 thread. But I would also move to a thinner thread. I use a Size 50 and a size 16 topstitch needle, and it works fine for me. Even if I had a 30 or 40 on top, I would always have a 50 in the bobbin. Play with these different combinations and your FMQ stitchich should improve. Of course all of these changes will demand you tweak the upper AND bobbin tensions. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:00 PM

Like Jane, that #30 wt. seems pretty thick to me and definitely deserves a larger needle. also, I've not had good luck with Sulky on the Long Arm--seems most of their threads are used for embroidery machines and the speed of the long arm causes shredding, despite a #19 needle.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Also try loosening top tension.
I've had to do that with certain threads when FMQing on my Bernina. I would definitely use a larger needle with the 30 wt

Last edited by cashs_mom; 11-05-2017 at 06:11 PM.