Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting Thread >

Machine Quilting Thread

Machine Quilting Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Default Machine Quilting Thread

I began quilting 2 1/2 years ago. I bought a Brother SQ9185 Computerized sewing and quilting machine. I didn't know machine names like "Bernina" or "Janome." I love the machine -it does everything I want and need it to do (except embroidery!), and I've been very, very happy with it. So, I've been looking at embroidery machines; my thought is to expand it into my quilting (and do some on items for my four and six year old grandchildren). Today, I ordered a low-end embroidery machine designed for beginners (Brother PE 525); if I fall in love with machine embroidery, I will move up to the 770 when I can. In the meantime, I am really, really confused about thread. Of course, I was confused about thread when I began quilting -buying Coats & Clark because it was all I knew about; I now use thread from Connecting Threads for charity quilts, and Aurifil (love, love, love this thread) for gifts, family and friends. Now, I understand that there are those who love rayon embroidery thread and those who love the polyester; as I beginner, I want to start with polyester. So, according to various reviews, the best thread is Madiera, Sulky, and Guterman, but these are all rayon. Of the lesser threads (poly), these three seem to be recommended: Embroidex, Simthread, and Thread Nanny. I have three questions: (1) do you agree that initially I should not concern myself with those lovely rayon threads, (2) of the poly threads I listed, which (if any) do you recommend, and (3) if I buy prewound bobbins, is it important that they be the Same brand as the embroidery thread I ultimately choose?

I apologize for being so long-winded! I really am excited, though, about this new aspect of my quilting, and I want to get off to a good start! I very much respect the opinions of those who post here!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-06-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM

I use Isacord embroidery thread and have for years. I started with Rayon because that was all you could find (about 20 years ago when I started) and it wasn't colorfast. That was very frustrating to me and I've used polyester ever since and and very happy with it. I also have ARC, FuFu, Metro and a few others. Honestly, I don't find a lot of difference in most of them and sometimes what is use is based on what color I need and have. You will be hooked before you know it!
Old 11-06-2017, 04:42 PM

I haven't used rayon threads so can't help you with your question. I suggest that your try a few different brands first. You will find a brand you love. For EMB, I started with poly Exquisite which is a nice thread. This thread fits on plastic trays and stores nice.

http://exquisitepoly.com/

I moved on to Fl0riani as it has a nice sheen and have most all their colors. They also have a micro thread if you plan on doing small letters. Don't forget to use a topping on lettering and towels. It keeps the design on top of the fabric so it doesn't get lost.

The other thread I love is the Br0ther thread. Do a pull test to see what point the spool of thread breaks. There is a difference in breakage points. My local dealer has all three brands so it's an easy purchase to replace empty spools.

There is one more name of thread that I would love to try some day. Check out their storage drawers and systems for a EMB delight.

http://www.hemingworth.com/thread.htm

Pre-wounds just need to match the requirements of your EMB machine.You will also want to consider the storage system for your thread. Wall? Drawer? Bins?

I started with bins but got tired of opening them to find a color. I store thread in drawers on golf tees. It's covered and organized which is important in my world. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Banned

Madeira, Sulky and Gutterman all make several types of thread as do the other brands you mentioned. I've been doing machine embroidery for years and use Madeira thread(poly for most items but do have some rayon for specialty items) almost exclusively in all of my machines(2 Brother and 3 Janome). Most embroidery thread is acceptable but machines can be fickle things. Even 2 machines of the same brand and model might like different brands of thread. My best advice, no matter which brand you choose, try a few spools or cones of a brand before you go all out on Amazon or wherever and spend a ton on a color collection. My BFF bought a big collection from Amazon with her first machine, I think it was Thread Art or ThreadNanny, and ended up replacing it with Madeira after using some of my thread. I read over and over on other forums about people constantly having breakage issues with Sulky and Florianni threads. IMO they're over priced anyway. Another tip I'll give you right now to save you lots of headaches, don't buy the little spools that fit your machines horizontal spool pin. Get a stand alone thread stand and buy mini cones, you'll be thankful later. I buy almost all of my embroidery supplies from the Allstitch website. Great prices, quality products and fast service. Shipping can be high if you don't meet the free shipping minimum. My BFF and I order together to get free shipping. For your bobbin thread, embroidery bobbin thread is much thinner than bobbin thread for sewing. You want to make sure you use the thread recommended for your machine, most Brother embroidery machines use 90wt bobbin thread but some use 60wt. Your top thread is 40wt for most embroidery, specialty things and small tight detail work might need 60 or 90 wt thread. I don't use pre wounds so I can't help there but Allstitch sells pre wounds for just about every machine. I buy large cones of bobbin thread and wind my own, it's cheaper and I don't end up with dozens of empty bobbins that may or may not be warped so you're not supposed to reuse them.

Cari

Last edited by Cari-in-Oly; 11-06-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

I use machine quilting thread sometimes. I use connecting thread and coats and clark. In the whole scheme of things I don't think it matters. You will get all kinds of opinions on here.
Old 11-06-2017, 08:47 PM

I use floriani and isacord in my brother. I like madeira but find it is too pricey. superior makes nice threads as well. Sulky is just okay to me, not my fave brand. I haven't had any issues with gutterman. I did not care for coats and clark embroidery thread. Their regular sewing thread gives me no isses
Old 11-07-2017, 03:53 AM

Threadart has relatively low cost embroidery thread, both poly and rayon and the 40% sales can't be beat. I embroider a lot for church bazaars (to support the Quilt Ministry!) Other thread is available there too, similar to that from Connecting Threads as far as I can tell. Have fun!!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:44 AM

I use Metro machine embroidery thread for my FMQ, you can't beat their prices, colors or customer service, it's a poly thread, rayon from what I've heard is quite "fragile".
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
I haven't used rayon threads so can't help you with your question. I suggest that your try a few different brands first. You will find a brand you love. For EMB, I started with poly Exquisite which is a nice thread. This thread fits on plastic trays and stores nice.

http://exquisitepoly.com/

I moved on to Fl0riani as it has a nice sheen and have most all their colors. They also have a micro thread if you plan on doing small letters. Don't forget to use a topping on lettering and towels. It keeps the design on top of the fabric so it doesn't get lost.

The other thread I love is the Br0ther thread. Do a pull test to see what point the spool of thread breaks. There is a difference in breakage points. My local dealer has all three brands so it's an easy purchase to replace empty spools.

There is one more name of thread that I would love to try some day. Check out their storage drawers and systems for a EMB delight.

http://www.hemingworth.com/thread.htm

Pre-wounds just need to match the requirements of your EMB machine.You will also want to consider the storage system for your thread. Wall? Drawer? Bins?

I started with bins but got tired of opening them to find a color. I store thread in drawers on golf tees. It's covered and organized which is important in my world. Good luck!

What is a topping that you say to use with lettering so thread sits on top of the fabric? I do some lettering but have never heard of a topping?
Old 11-07-2017, 06:20 AM

I chose polyester threads cause I heard they won't fade in the wash or sun as much as rayon threads. I started with Fufu way back when until they were sold out to Floriani which then doubled the price so I started looking into a replacement thread and found BFC Creation's brand at a reasonable price plus she has sales from time to time. I've picked up most all her bobbin thread colors recently too and have found no problems with them. My machine (EPIC) winds a nice bobbin so I wind all my bobbins these days. Before that I used NEB bobbins but I was told not to use any bobbin but Viking bobbins in this newer machine so I don't. I'm using the rest of my NEB bobbins in my Brother machine for piece work till they're gone.............which will be a very long time from now.

I also love Connecting Threads cotton and polyester threads for quilting on my quilt machine. True its linty but you need to clean out the bobbin area anyway so what's the difference. I also have Auriful and use it when I have the perfect color I need.