Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Bury Your Tails? >

Why Bury Your Tails?

Why Bury Your Tails?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:18 AM

Default Why Bury Your Tails?

I have to admit, I've never done this. I always take a few tiny stitches when I FMQ and then clip off the thread tails.

What am I missing? Why do I not want to do this and want to bury them instead?

Watson
Old 11-08-2017, 11:38 AM
IQ2

I think it's a matter of personal taste. I don't like the little knots that form when I do the tiny stitches and clipping. I often use different color threads top and bottom, so that also causes an issue for me with the tiny stitches, because the opposite color often shows through...But I actually like burying the tails so it's no problem for me. Your way surely is quicker and easier.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 AM

I always bury my tails and it's a part of the quilting process I dislike-- I don't know why. Maybe I will start doing it your way, Watson. Certainly seems easier.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:28 PM

To be honest, the only quilt I've buried my ends on was the one I entered into the local fair.

Normally I either manage to hide the ends of the quilting under the binding, or I do small stitches (usually in a tiny little circle so they overlap), or use the 'knot' button if I'm on my Janome.

When I do FMQ I often have to backtrack over my stitches anyway - that's another good spot to hide an end, particularly if it's a bobbin change and I'm going to start up in the same spot anyway.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:30 PM

It usually looks a lot neater to tie and pull the knot to the inside and bury the tails. But that is the only reason to do it, because it looks nicer. I will do that if I break a thread in a bad spot and don't want it to be obvious I've stopped and started there. Normally I plan my stops and starts so it's not going to be noticeable (like on a dark spot if I'm using dark thread).
Old 11-08-2017, 01:39 PM

I also don't like the tiny build up taking tiny stitches. And I'm paranoid about the thread coming undone, although my friend assures me it'll be ok. Also I started as a hand quilter and just got used to doing the thread burying.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:55 PM

If the reason anyone dislikes burying threads is the actual threading the needle process, using the side threading needles like Sench needles makes that less painful! You can thread both threads at the same time and then bury them.
Here's a link to the Sench needles in case you're not familiar with them:

http://senchneedles.com/
Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM

I've always done the tiny stitches. If I remember, I use the lock stitch. That works, too. It's almost like doing the tiny stitches.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:45 PM

I bury the threads for quilts that are going into the gallery if they are traditional quilts. If they are art quilts that are non-traditional then I either do the tiny stitches thing, or I bury the tails, depending on what I think the quilt needs.

For quilts that get used in my house, or given as gifts to be used, I knot off my thread by wiggling my quilt back and forth slightly and then done some tiny stitches just to make sure.

Rob
Old 11-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

It's personal preference. I like the look of buried knots verses stitches.

Last edited by Tartan; 11-08-2017 at 02:52 PM.