Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Monochromatic Quilts >

Monochromatic Quilts

Monochromatic Quilts

Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 AM

Default Monochromatic Quilts

I recently came across a quilt that was made up of all shades of aqua. It was pieced using all 2x2" squares. It was light in color at one end of the quilt, fading to dark at the other end, giving it a modern look. I have to say that it was stunning. I'm wondering if there are any rules, tips, or tricks working with just one color.

~ C
Old 11-09-2017, 06:11 AM

Huh! I guess you'd have to take a lot of the same things into consideration as you do when figuring out a gradient of fabrics for a bargello. It sounds like a neat quilt.

I wonder if anybody's done a single-color bargello before? Probably...?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

I imagine it would be like working with a black and white photo. Lots of shades in b/w in photos but it still makes a picture. I think it might be fun to use a photo and run it through an app that breaks it into squares and piece it on that fusible grid interfacing. I saw an awesome one done like that of Elvis.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:31 AM

I always wonder at gradient quilts. I don't seem to have the patience to plan it out that well. I love the effect, but don't take the time to do it.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Huh! I guess you'd have to take a lot of the same things into consideration as you do when figuring out a gradient of fabrics for a bargello. It sounds like a neat quilt.

I wonder if anybody's done a single-color bargello before? Probably...?
I have done two. Let me find pictures. I was very pleased with the results.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails img_0004-2.jpg   s8002130.jpg  
Old 11-09-2017, 07:04 AM

I love monochromatic. Never done one however as my biggest obstacle is fabric selection. You would have to be real picky to get all the right shades of the selected color. I would have to see the fabrics in person as the online colors on different websites have huge variances! And I don’t have a fabric store close that carries near that much inventory to pick from.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:08 AM

Those are beautiful, Dina! I'm thinking that you would have to buy all of the fabric from the same company, or even the same collection, so that all of the colors coordinated. Then again, it might look cool to bring in some off, or muted tones and go for an overall mosaic affect.

~ C
Old 11-09-2017, 09:15 AM

I would choose the color, then as many shades lighter and darker as you could get. Throw in a few that are a little different so it doesn't get boring. Also, mix scale of prints as well. For the lightest you could use your color print on a light background, dark ones could be your color on black/dark background. Be sure and post pics when you are done!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:55 AM

Some ombre fabric would probably work pretty well, for a monochromatic bargello or a modern quilt like tropit described.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 AM

My friends and I once saw a monochromatic purple rail fence quilt at a quilt show and we all thought it was the most beautiful quilt there! I stood in front of it for a long time, trying to figure out what made it so gorgeous. I finally realized what it was: she used every shade of purple she could get her hands on, not just lighter and darker shades of the same purple color. There were purples so light, if they were any lighter they'd have been white, and purples so dark they were almost black. There were reddish purples, bluish purples, pinkish purples, every kind of purple. So when my purple-crazy niece got a quilt from me, I made it just like that one!