Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question on t-shirt quilt design >

question on t-shirt quilt design

question on t-shirt quilt design

Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Default question on t-shirt quilt design

does anyone know an easy way to a random spaced t-shirt quilt? I have made them with sashings and more same size blocks but I want to use the different size blocks with maybe small pinwheels & 4-patches to fill in between blocks but can't seem to wrap my head around an easyway to figure out how to size them. Any ideas will help. Hope you can understand my question. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:05 PM

I think to do this......get all of your t-shirts mounted on the interfacing.

Lay them out where you think you want them. Then, fill in the blanks with whatever else you want to make per row. Once you have your extras finished lay them down too.

Then, go back and make your row the same height across. If you don't want the rows the same height then make the columns the same width.

I made a quilt with words for my daughter. That's how I did it. I used both filler fabric and stars. My words were not as varied as I thought they would be. Which was ok. I was ready to be done with the quilt when I noticed this
Old 11-19-2017, 06:21 PM

Laying out these unequal blocks on a t-shirt quilt are what I think is hardest! I used to use graph paper and sketch out several designs to get a way for this puzzle to work. Now I use EQ7(8). But Ginger's description is really what you are doing.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 AM

I’ve only made one t shirt quilt and I drew it out on graph paper once I knew what size blocks I had, it took several drafts before I came up with a design I liked. Let me try to post a photo of it.[ATTACH=CONFIG]584103[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 5467e37a-1cbf-42d9-b290-a098d1ea0061.jpeg  
Old 11-20-2017, 03:49 AM

OH quiltaddict that is beautiful! the t-shirts I am working with are not that colorful-a lot of gray & black. I was thinking of using gray & black pinwheels & 4-patches to fill-in and around the border but now I am thinking it will be to boring. I will use the graph paper ( I don't have EQ) Thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 AM

Decide on a 'size grid' . For example all Blocks will be a multiple of 4 inches finished- 4 x 4, 4 x 8, 8 x 8, etc. Then cut all your T-shirts using that 'size grid'. Now you have to play. Count how many of each size that you have. Get some graph paper and an cut out that number of each size (or do this on the computer). Then move them around until you get a layout you like. Then fill in holes with either blank -T-Shirt fabric or your pinwheels and 4 patches.