Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pinking Blade for Rotary Cutter??? >

Pinking Blade for Rotary Cutter???

Pinking Blade for Rotary Cutter???

Old 11-24-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Pinking Blade for Rotary Cutter???

Is there a secret to using this blade? It cost $14.95 for one(used a 50% off coupon). I'm trying to use up a lot of my stash making string quilts and I use a muslin base and wanted to pink the edges of the muslin because it frays so much, so I bought this blade. I found it wouldn't cut soft butter let alone a piece of fabric. I only wanted to cut thru 2 layers and the muslin is really thin but I struggled with each piece. I had to go back and forth at least 2 and more often 3 times before it would cut. I think I still have my receipt but I don't know if Joanne's will take it back now that I opened it. Has anyone ever used this blade and if there is a special way I would really like to know about it. Thanks BusyLizzie
Old 11-24-2017, 02:43 PM

I ended up with the same disappointment as you when I bought the Olfa pinking blade for a class. I hung on to it after the class but sheesh, what a pain it is. It doesn't cut well at all - even on one layer of fabric. Maybe someone will tell us a way to use it better.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

​Laura at Sew Very Easy did a segment on YouTube on using the pinking blade.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

You need to apply a lot of pressure and also keep the blade perpendicular. I really don't know how you would do it using a rotary cutting handle without lots of practice. I use the Fiskars ruler/rotary cutter tool:
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Cra...ler-Combo-6x24
I would try to return it.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:54 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm... I bought one to make Christmas garland last year. I had 2 fabrics with a layer in between to make them stick together (can't think of what it's called) but the pinking blade worked well. I know the one I bought was Olfa. I'm wondering if you got a bad blade? I didn't have any trouble with it.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

I have both the pinking blade and the wave blade.
I have had no problem. I don't use them a lot, but they have worked fine when needed.

Agree ... important to keep all straight and at right angles when cutting.

One thing to note ... when cutting against a ruler, be really careful to not damage the blade.
It's very easy to slide up next to the ruler with it, and nick the blade against the ruler.

It can happen with a regular blade, but IMHO, easier done with one of these specialty blades.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Power Poster

My pinking blade (wave one too) seem to work okay, but I do go slow when cutting. I'm careful to not catch my ruler too.
Also important is that I use an older mat, since these blades tend to really make hamburger of the mat surface!
Old 11-25-2017, 07:39 AM

I use mine a lot when cutting out apparel fabrics with no problems. Also use it on outdoor fabrics as they fray big time too. So far no problems but don't think they last as long as the regular blades which is a shame as I can't sharpen these on my blade sharpener...........DRAT IT ALL!!!!
Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 AM

First - yes, Joanns will take it back if you have the receipt. Ask for a manager and explain that it just doesn't work. I have found over the years that these 'specialty' blades work best on scrapbooking projects even though they have been marketed to also be usable with fabric. A lot less hassle to just have a good pair of pinking shears. I keep mine in a fabric case, not the plastic sleeve, so there is no chance of moisture and haven't had to sharpen them in years.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Power Poster

I have 2 of these blades. You have to press a bit harder than normal, but I have no problem with them.