Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails? >

What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails?

What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails?

Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Default What happens when a circuit board (motherboard?) "goes bad" or fails?

My question is in the title of the post -
Old 11-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Are you asking the symptoms of a failing motherboard? In my case, a 1985ish Elna, it started sewing slower and slower. Then sometimes it would quit altogether. It also started loosing features, like always ending with the needle up. I would try again after letting the machine "rest", and it would stitch for a bit. Now it doesn't start at all.

Or, are you asking if it is reparable. In my case, no. I've asked 4 different repairmen, and received the same answer. One suggested sending it to a place in either North or South Carolina, but that seems pretty expensive when there is no guarantee that a repair would be successful.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
In my case, no. I've asked 4 different repairmen,
Don't they make replacements? Or is it that the machine is too old? You can replace the motherboard in a computer, so I don't see why it should be different with a sewing machine.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:26 PM

Mother boards change over time. Newer, faster, smaller components become available, so they are incorporated in the new boards in the new machines. Making the old models of boards is not profitable, as there is not much demand for older models. So, they quit making them.

Some of the older boards can be repaired by electronics technicians. The newer boards are not repairable, as they are produced in vacuums or some other technique that is not available to repair technicians.

If you would like to find someone who can repair a board, call an independent computer repair shop. They might be able to help you find someone who can repair the board if it's an older board.

This is the way I understand it. I'm not an expert in computer board repair.

By the way, you cannot find a new mother board for an Apple Imac anymore, either. It's all a matter of time. If it was a fairly new sewing machine, you could get a new board for it.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 11-26-2017 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
Don't they make replacements? Or is it that the machine is too old? You can replace the motherboard in a computer, so I don't see why it should be different with a sewing machine.
The dealer told me when my Pfaff motherboard died, I’d have to buy a new machine, because they don’t make them anymore. So when I saw a good deal on a floor model, I bought it (from another source). I’m hoping the motherboard on the old machine holds up a bit longer.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
not always. an older computer has a lot of parts that won't meld with a new motherboard. ask me how i know ..
Old 11-27-2017, 07:32 AM

If it is a machine you really love you might want to check ebay for another like it or one for parts that the board is still working.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by shasta5718 View Post
If it is a machine you really love you might want to check ebay for another like it or one for parts that the board is still working.
I would not suggest that option. Electronic components are somewhat like plastic gears. They WILL fail after a given time span. So, buying another old electronic item might not be a good idea. How long an electronic component lasts is dependent on several factors, particularly the amount of heat it's subjected to. So, that would include how much it's used, the way it's stored and the circulation in the are where it's used, just like a computer. If your computer fan goes out, so does the motherboard. Also, you should make sure all the air ports are clear of dust.

bkay
Old 11-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt1950 View Post
Or, are you asking if it is reparable. In my case, no. I've asked 4 different repairmen, and received the same answer. One suggested sending it to a place in either North or South Carolina, but that seems pretty expensive when there is no guarantee that a repair would be successful.
There is a guy in the east who is well known for repairing sewing machine computer boards. I've read about him on other groups but don't remember any specifics because well, I don't use these machines so had no reason to remember anything. This guy could be who your repairman is talking about.

Cari
Old 11-27-2017, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

I hope someone comes up with the name.