Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Future Teacher Question >

Future Teacher Question

Future Teacher Question

Old 11-29-2017, 08:43 AM

Default Future Teacher Question

I don’t want to derail bearisgray’s post about good student behaviour so I am posting a new thread

I am just finishing my teaching course (for teaching adult learners) with the aim to start teaching quilting and embroidery. Beginning with classes in local village halls and eventually in my own studio (thinking big here!)

I live in an area where the nearest LQS is 25 miles away and the local haberdashery has only a limited supply of threads etc (she concentrates mostly on knitting wool).

My thoughts are to offer pre-packed materials or kits with everything they need (no profit for me) so students are at least prepared for the class.

I have attended so many workshops where other participants did not have the per-requisite materials. If the class was at a LQS, the instructor accompanied the students in the shop, wasting the time of those who came prepared. At a dyeing course I attended, the instructor said she would bring the prepped fabric for those that wanted. Half the class hadn’t bothered to buy and prep their own and she spent nearly 45 minutes cutting fabric and getting payment. Some hadn’t even brought salt and the instructor’s husband had to make a run to the supermarket!

So… is pre-pack a good idea? Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

HettyB
Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

I think kits are a great idea. I would consider not making it an option, just bundle the kit price into the cost of the class. With everyone working with the exact same materials, the class will be easier to teach. It's easier saying 'take the red plaid square' rather than 'take the piece that you have cut into a 4 1/2 inch square', especially if there are several similar cuts. I have attended classes where the kit was not optional. I will say that those classes were technique classes as opposed to making a specific project, but I thought it really worked well. Also, I would think that many people would welcome the idea of just showing up with no prep work.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:00 AM

I agree. Make up the kits and include it in the cost of the class. List the tools they will need to bring. Ask them ahead of time if they have the necessary tools. If not, maybe have those on hand for them to purchase? Or make sure in your class explanation, you tell them they cannot come to the class without the tools or they will not be able to complete the project.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 AM

While I agree that kits would be convenient, especially if a class is not taught at a shop, what if they are not to the students' tastes? Would people opt out of taking a class if they don't like the colors that would be used? Perhaps not as much an issue for beginners, though.

Having an instructor not be available and teaching the whole class would be irritating! If an instructor is willing to help students select materials or prep materials, that should happen before the class begins. At a shop I used to go to, teachers were available an hour ahead to meet anyone who was unsure about fabric selection. In the case of the dyeing class, if the option is to bring your own or purchase through the teacher, that choice should be made clear when registering, so that the teacher can have the amount needed prepared and paid for ahead.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2017, 11:40 AM

I confess I have only ever taken one class, but it was one lump sum that included all fabrics and fusible. You could bring your own tools, or use the teachers. It was a beginners applique, so only a few tools needed, but I think it is a good way to do it.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
While I agree that kits would be convenient, especially if a class is not taught at a shop, what if they are not to the students' tastes? Would people opt out of taking a class if they don't like the colors that would be used?
I took a class where we were told to bring our own materials, but the instructor also provided a kit. All the kits were exactly the same. I was very happy to use the provided kit to learn and perfect the techniques being taught, then I was very comfortable moving on to the fabrics I had purchased for the "real" project.

I think kits are a great idea. If your project is a big one, you don't have to provide materials for the whole thing. The kit can be one or two blocks, just enough to get people practicing and familiar with the project.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of a kit for a small "practice piece" - and then if I think the idea/technique is wonderful - then going on to buy "real fabrics" for it.

I also think it would be easier to teach the class if everyone has the same "stuff"
Old 11-29-2017, 02:22 PM

I also think a kit would be a great idea. A beginner in anything can become overwhelmed with choices. Wouldn't it be easier (and less expensive in the long run) to simply say--here is the sample and a kit with the same (or similar) fabrics is included in the course price. Please make sure your sewing machine is in working order and remember to also bring the manual for your machine. As to the last sentence--I once spent half a class waiting on the instructor who had to help a couple of students figure out how to thread their machines.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:48 PM

As a new quilter, I would like to have the kit as part of the class cost. As others have said, enough materials to learn the technique. That would be great.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I like the idea of offering a choice of the kit or their own supplies.
Let us know how it goes!