Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Machine Quilting >

Machine Quilting

Machine Quilting

Old 12-10-2017, 10:26 AM

Default Machine Quilting

I have a quilt panel for a Connector Play Mat. Any ideas on patterns for machine quilting this.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:34 AM

I googled to see what a Connector Play Mat is, and those are so cute! I think you could quilt this any way you wanted and it would look good. I personally would go for something simple, as whoever is playing on it won't care how it is quilted. I would just go with straight lines horizontally and vertically....but then I like straight lines. Not everyone does.

Welcome to the board, by the way. I see this is your first post.

Dina
Old 12-10-2017, 11:41 AM

Those are a great idea with the roads and such for the kids to play on with their toys. Like Dina, I'd do a simple large grid to make it sturdy. (Whatever width apart my batting called for.)

Welcome!

Watson
Old 12-10-2017, 12:26 PM

I did one similar to that. I stitched both sides of the 'road' and some of the buildings to stabilize it per batting instructions.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I googled to see what a Connector Play Mat is, and those are so cute! I think you could quilt this any way you wanted and it would look good. I personally would go for something simple, as whoever is playing on it won't care how it is quilted. I would just go with straight lines horizontally and vertically....but then I like straight lines. Not everyone does.

Welcome to the board, by the way. I see this is your first post.

Dina
Thanks Dina. I will take your advice. I have done very little machine quilting so straight lines will make it easy.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:52 PM

Butterfly--I have bought all of those for the g-boys. Two stayed at my house as small, separate mats. The original 3 I sewed together (which they were designed to do--the roads and RR tracks fit) and I then sewed the centerline of the roads and either side of the RR tracks. I also sewed waves through the grass and around the buildings. I wanted it to be pretty sturdy cause I knew the boys would use it on the floor and be laying on it and running vehicles on it. I put denim on the back and the 3 &4 yrs old use it as a rug in their bedroom. So glad I heavily quilted it.
Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by selm View Post
I did one similar to that. I stitched both sides of the 'road' and some of the buildings to stabilize it per batting instructions.
I try and get them when I can for donating to Sadie's Dream for a Cure, along with Matchbox type vehicles. I just stitch on either side of the road also and around buildings and trees to stabilize. I then add a strip of binding with Velcro attached on both ends to enable the receiver to roll it up when not in use.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]585187[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]585188[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf4793.jpg   dscf4802.jpg  
Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM

When |I did a similar panel I quilted the roads and a few buildings etc to hold it together. I also chose to use flannel for a batting so it was a little cushioned but I didn't have to quilt as closely as if I had used traditional batting.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:54 AM

I just did straight lines using painters tape and was so easy! Strip removes easy and place it again for next line!