Book from local library

Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Default Book from local library

Just picked up Origin by Dan Brown, in large print, of course from the local library. I am a bit taken back...looks like books are feeling the pinch of ebooks! The regular sized book has a soft-cover, pages are thinner than older books, and the print, altho,it is black, is not a true, deep black. Sort of a shade lighter....when they start printing in gray, I will definitely be more inclined to ebooks, or audio...my old eyes just have a hard time with gray print....I just don't see the shelf life of this version of book being long.... I haven't been to a book store lately, and am now wondering if this is the "new" book look, or is this just for libraries printing, or just large print version-will as when I return this. But I will be very careful with this book so I don't crease the covers.....
Old 12-23-2017, 06:36 AM

I don't like large print books because the paper is so thin you can almost see through it. My eyes aren't what they used to be either but for now I mostly enjoy what is called "trade" size books. Or you could call them large paperbacks. My reward for getting old is having the time to read!! I usually read a couple books a week.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:41 AM

I have not seen any of those yet...I shop at Wal Mart and grocery stores for books, read them and donate to local county library. Since optical nerve problems, I don't see as well as I used too, so have slowed way down to a couple of books or so a week. some of my favorite authors are using larger print in their books and that helps without looker for a larger printed book that is higher in price. Limited budget, but still enjoy reading a book in print not buying a 'book reader' yet. DH does have a tablet and has downloaded some 8,000 books on it.. . he adjusts the print the size he wants to use to read his selected book.

Latest trip to Barnes and Noble upset me; everything was by category, and by author's last name...no latest or newest book section at all.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:34 PM

I've been reading e-books so much lately that the last time I read a "real" book I tapped the corner of the page to turn it! I must have done it two or three times before I realized, Duh, that doesn't work with a real book!

Watson
Old 12-23-2017, 02:20 PM

Watson,
That is just too, too funny!
Old 12-23-2017, 05:55 PM

I am finding spelling and grammar errors even in books by mainstream publishers. I think they have fired their copy editors and are relying on computer programs.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:17 AM

Publishers are making large print books in paperback because if they were in hard cover they'd be harder to hold - they'd be huge. The "regular" print copy of Origin is hardcover.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I am finding spelling and grammar errors even in books by mainstream publishers. I think they have fired their copy editors and are relying on computer programs.
oh, I'm convinced of that! I was reading an ebooks the other day on the iPad, and I guess I sort of "speed read" but had to stop at one sentence and read it three times, it made no sense, then realized it was a grammatical error probably "corrected" by spell-check or whatever. When I corrected it in my brain, I was able to continue....Artificial Intelligence - at work!
Old 12-24-2017, 04:09 AM

Hahaha Watson, we must read too many ebooks. I've caught myself un-pinching my fingers to make the text larger!
Old 12-24-2017, 05:22 AM

My sister and I find our books at our local thrift store. Get hardbacks for prices between $.75 and $3.00 each. Lost about 60 books in my last move. Sure hope whomever got those books enjoys them. Thankfully I had a lists of all my books and with the help from my thrift store I'm slowly acquiring them back as well as a few new ones.

My mother who is 91 loves to read and finding books at the thrift store is ane asy fix for her. She used to go to the library but for whatever reason she no longer wants to go for her books so we keep her supplied this way. Afterwards we donate them back to the thrift store.