Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Small Handheld Devices--- What to Buy? >

Small Handheld Devices--- What to Buy?

Small Handheld Devices--- What to Buy?

Old 12-24-2017, 12:30 PM

Default Small Handheld Devices--- What to Buy?

I'm looking to buy a small handheld mobile device to replace my dying 5th generation iPod. I'm thinking about Amazons kindle e-reader and am wondering if anyone has personal reviews on it? Or any suggestions for something similar? I want something that is small enough that I can hold it easily one handed while feeding babies, doing dishes, etc., and it can also slip into a purse nicely; something about the size of a smart phone. (This the only way I view the QB! It takes too much for me to get the big PC fired up...)

Apple has apparently stopped making updates for their iPods, and mine is slowly fading out. My DH offered to buy me something to replace it with for my birthday in March, so I'm just getting feelers out there, so to speak.

We don't have iPhones/smart phones, otherwise that would be my solution.

I really appreciate any reviews and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 12-24-2017, 02:24 PM

NZquilter, My girlfriend just got me a Samsung Galaxy Tab E-lite. It is a 7" tablet that is Android based and does everything a smart phone does except make calls. You can load Nook, Kindle, Audible, Netflix, and all the other apps you might want on it. It has 1 GB RAM , 8 GB ROM and will accept a micro SD card for storage expansion. I've been stealing my girlfriend's 10" Samsung tablet for over a year. I really like it and look forward to having the 7" one. She tells me she found this one at Shopko marked at 1/2 price for the holidays. If you have a Shopko nearby, maybe the sale is still on.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:29 PM

The regular sized Kindle is too large for what you want, and the Kindle Fire is even bigger.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:23 AM

I have the kindle fire and love it. I put it in the back pocket of my jeans and listen to audio books and music while I'm quilting or sewing. I use ear buds and can listen in the car, out for walks. It is bigger than a smart phone but it fits in my back pocket or purse.
Old 12-25-2017, 03:27 AM

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. I can read it in bright and very low light. it doesn't do much more than allow me to read but that is fine with me. It is light and fits in my purse so I take it just about everywhere. It all depends on what you want/need. I had a tablet but just used it for playing solitaire, so now we just loan it to people in the hospital. A friend has an iPod mini that she travels with, mainly for taking and viewing photos. She doesn't use it to read, though.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:06 AM

I ave two Kindles. I have a Paperwhite that I love to read with. I carry it with me a lot. I also have a Kindle Fire and I absolutely love it. I know it has many of the capabilities of the IPad. I do email on it, it has Silk browser, I have a contact list, note taking, etc. Most everything except phone. I is easy and compact to carry. When I travel I can connect with internet everywhere its available. I don't take my PC on most trips. I have been super happy with it. And, by the way. I can read a book on the Paperwhite and then switch to the Fire. It will advance to the place in the book where I want to read. I do have a smart phone (recent gift from one of my sons because he upgraded his family phone plan and I am on their plan) but don't use it as effectively as I might. I just don't put in the effort since I have other devices. But, I do like my Kindles!
Old 12-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

My DIL has a small Kindle and she loves it. I don't know the name of it but it's much smaller and lighter weight than mine.
You're not talking about an Ipad, right? I have an Ipad Mini and don't like it. But I love my old Kindle!
Old 12-25-2017, 07:21 AM

I have a question about the 'fading out'. Rechargeable batteries wear out over time, or after x number of charges. As they age, your pc/tablet/phone/ipad will slow down. You might want to see if you can buy a new battery for it.
Old 12-25-2017, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

Kindle Fire can do email, websites, Netflix, take pictures, download books, accept pdf files and is inexpensive. The Kindle Paperwhite is for reading. We are a Kindle family. We have all types of Kindles. Love my Kindle Fire. Even the cheaper ones are great. I have a few on the shelf for the grands to play games and watch movies. I think my Kindle Paperwhite has as many books on it as our town's library. LOL I keep it in my purse. The tablets are so amazing. I am in awe at the technology there is available that is so affordable. DH pooed pooed the Kindle idea of replacing a book. But once he got one he loves it. He can have any book he wants to read instantly.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Well, Santa really surprised me and gave me a Kindle fire hd 7 for Christmas! It sure was a surprise! I'm glad to see many positive reviews for you all. I think it will serve me well.