Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any of you used this cuddle fabric? >

Have any of you used this cuddle fabric?

Have any of you used this cuddle fabric?

Old 01-10-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Have any of you used this cuddle fabric?

This cuddle rose minky always catches my eye, but I am not sure how it would quilt. have any of you used this?

I would just do straight line - probably cross hatch quilting. Like maybe 3" apart - but I am afraid

Have any of you had good luck with it?

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...minky-yardage-
Old 01-10-2018, 05:35 PM

I have used it twice. As long as your thread tensions are set right (and stay right) it quilts like regular cotton.
I assume you are using as backing here.
If you want to piece with it, you need to ask others.
Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 05:45 PM

yes I am thinking backing....but I might have to piece if I make a large quilt. Just 1 seam....
Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 PM

Cuddle by Shannon Fabrics now has 2 widths, 60in and 90in wide. I have used it Many times as a backing and love it. It stretches width-wise, but not length-wise so be careful how you piece it. I use a long arm for quilting and have found that the fuzz sometimes pulls from the back to the front with quilting. It is really obvious when using a dark backing on a quilt top with whites and light colors. I use my Cuddle-backed quilt every night. It is really warm.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-10-2018 at 06:49 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42 PM

I haven't quilted with it on the back, but I have sewn blankets with embossed minky. Hemming evenly wasn't too bad so I assume it would work well as a backing. I sew with a size 12/80 needle so it'd be less likely to pull fuzz through to the front - smaller hole. I like the rose embossing. I can see why you like it.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 AM

I used minky backing for the first time on my last two quilts. I did a simple 3" grid like you are describing.

The thread that I used made alot of difference for some reason. The first quilt I used Superior Bottom Line (top and bobbin), and I had frequent birds nests on the back. I tried every tension trick that I could think of to no avail. It was very frustrating.

The second quilt I used Superior SoFine without any problems whatsoever. I didn't have to change a thing to get perfect stitches.

I did notice portions of the dark minky backing being pulled up to the front on light fabric... especially when I used a larger needle on the first quilt. I went back to a smaller needle on the second without a problem.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
yes I am thinking backing....but I might have to piece if I make a large quilt. Just 1 seam....
I have used it for backing and love it. I had had a problem with the first quilt I made with it but spoke with a long armer at a quilt store-told him what happened-he knew immediately.
Told me to spray baste, use a stretch needle(#75/11), synthetic batting, and 100%polyester thread(like Isacord). I did this and quilted a queen quilt on my home machine and it was like butter. I loved it and the quilt is so soft and cuddly and light weight. I used straight lines as well as other designs and it was so much fun.
When I say synthetic, he did say bamboo would be fine but not wool or cotton.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
This cuddle rose minky always catches my eye, but I am not sure how it would quilt. have any of you used this?

I would just do straight line - probably cross hatch quilting. Like maybe 3" apart - but I am afraid

Have any of you had good luck with it?

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...minky-yardage-
I have used it as a backing, but I did not use any batting because of the thickness of the minky. It did great in machine quilting.