Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Best Singer machine for sewing leather 402w100 vs 29k? >

Best Singer machine for sewing leather 402w100 vs 29k?

Best Singer machine for sewing leather 402w100 vs 29k?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:30 PM

Default Best Singer machine for sewing leather 402w100 vs 29k?

There are a lot of tough old Singer machines out there. I am looking for one that can handle sewing shoe leather uppers. I own a 15-91 I think can do it, but might be willing to trade it for something better if it exists. I've looked at a singer 29k hand crank machine, used for patching boots, so that may be a consideration. I've also got my eye on a Singer 402w100. I reckon I'd be looking to get a machine that can handle at the most 3 or 4mm thick veg tan leather. What are your thoughts experts?
Old 01-14-2018, 05:44 PM

This thread might interest you, or answer some questions.

Vintage Industrial Machines
Old 01-14-2018, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
This thread might interest you, or answer some questions.

Vintage Industrial Machines
Thanks, looking at it now!
Old 01-14-2018, 06:06 PM

You will notice when your machine is working too hard. When you get to know it a bit; sewing different things from shirt cotton, to flat felled seams on jeans, to a single layer of stiffer leather. A 15 will largely limit itself when it comes to neelde size, thread, and what you can fit under the presser foot. A few layers of soft leather is fine on domestic machines in general, 3 millimeters are probably fine. I haven't pushed my machines more than on occation. My advice would be to sign up on The leather worker net, there's a few guys there who know and use these vintage machines. These models are likely to behave better on thick leather and take larger size needles (for thicker thread). I know some of them keep domestic straight stitchers like the 15.

I don't know about the potted version, but I have seen model 15 and model 66 used and abused for way to long and they have held up. I can't recommend over loading any machine, but they cleaned up well and just kept on running. These were belt driven machines and they are not meant to run for hours and hours with out a rest. I think someone adviced to use up a bobbin, then take a cup of tea before continue quilting. It's good for the sewer as well as the machine.

I have a 201 I fixed up and it has turned out to be my favorite, I'm treating it nicely An old worn 15 or 66 can be found for next to nothing, they go on the heap or get split up for parts all the time unfortunately. I would rather experiment with one of those.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:24 PM

Yeah, I agree it's not a nice thing to do. It's not right for any of these machines to go to a junk heap. It's a waste of art. I really wish I'd have bought a 29k, but I only have a little apartment, and didn't want to deal with anything of size. Although, I'd be happy to have a manually operated one, and just go really slow with it. I'm not like planning on mass producing anything. I'm interested in making my own shoes, belt, and miscellaneous goods. Thanks for the reply here. My name is Lester. Nice to meet you.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by lverano View Post
T....I've looked at a singer 29k hand crank machine, used for patching boots, so that may be a consideration. I've also got my eye on a Singer 402w100. ....
What are your thoughts experts?
I'm no expert, but if I were going to sew leather that thick, I would look for a machine that its intended purpose was to sew leather that thick. Not all industrial machines are for sewing leather. From my understanding, many industrial machines are for sewing on regular fabric. According to http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...s-400-499.html the 402 was for sewing clothing, including overalls, not leather.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

ETA - Also you will note many of the machines take different systems of needles. The ismacs.net link also states which system of needles the machines takes. You might want to check the availability of said system and sizes thereof.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-14-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Banned

I'm sorry if I came off as harsh on the other thread. Since you are new to sewing I was assuming you got the idea that the 15-91 was a good choice for what you want to do from the Ebay seller. So many of them tout domestic machines as being "industrial strength" capable of sewing leather, etc.. and it gets my hackles up. A 29 would be perfect for what you want to do as it's for uppers, not for soles. There are other leather industrials too but I'm only familiar with the 29. Like Janey said, most industrials aren't for leather, they're for garment weight fabrics, used in a factory setting. Research any industrial you find before you buy so you know what it was built for before you buy it. A lot of times the older ones can be found real cheap. The Yahoo group WeFixIt has a couple of industrial mechanics who are very knowledgeable about them.

Cari