Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with a quilt pattern >

Need help with a quilt pattern

Need help with a quilt pattern

Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 PM

Default Need help with a quilt pattern

I want to make this quilt. It uses a panel that Moda made in 2011 for Quilting Across Texas, a shop hop. I found this photo online, but the shop is no longer in business, so I can't buy the pattern. I'm not very experienced at quilting, so I'm not quite sure how to tackle the center section.

Should those two little squares in center have an extra piece on the side to make them come out even with the rectangles above and below (seems ugly)? If I make the center section of the two small squares and it's two borders as a section, then I'll have funny seams against the square sections. (I hope that makes sense.) That's my main concern. How do I do that center section?

I bought the other fabrics today (not these colors). The lady at the quilt shop helped figure the amount of fabric needed and I bought a little extra. So, now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do it.

Thanks,

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587329[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cowboy2.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 01:46 PM

Looking at the photo, it seems that the two little center squares are slightly inset as compared to the larger blocks above and below it. However if you want them to be even in your quilt, you might add a narrow band of yellow all the way around, like the top right large block and the 2nd large block from the top on the left.

Or you could increase the gap between the two small blocks so that the outside edges line up.
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 PM

That's just a discoloration in the photo (probably lighting problem). It's really a row of white stars on a red background. It's used on part of the panel, so I can't duplicate it.

bkay
[ATTACH=CONFIG]587333[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_1591a.jpg  
Old 01-19-2018, 02:34 PM

Okay, I'm not very good at this so if this is a stupid idea, you can just disregard it. Why not just make the piece in between the two small squares a bit wider so that the small squares are even with the edges of the rectangles? It seems like it would be a lot easier to piece if the two small squares lined up on the outside the edges of the rectangles.

Anyway, that's what I would do but I've been known to do things in a rather, um, unconventional manner before . . .
Old 01-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

I blew the photo up large enough to see the two seams that go between the corners of the two rectangular blocks, above and below the two small center square blocks. So your first guess was right... the center two blocks are built out with a little extra strip. It won't be ugly...

What I would do first is frame all my blocks with the blue and then tackle joining them. To me it looks like the larger blocks have 2" of blue framing them, and the smaller squares all have 1" of blue around them. From there you should be able to figure out how wide the sashing pieces need to be, relative to the widths of the frames.

I believe you can do this!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
I blew the photo up large enough to see the two seams that go between the corners of the two rectangular blocks, above and below the two small center square blocks. So your first guess was right... the center two blocks are built out with a little extra strip. It won't be ugly...

What I would do first is frame all my blocks with the blue and then tackle joining them. To me it looks like the larger blocks have 2" of blue framing them, and the smaller squares all have 1" of blue around them. From there you should be able to figure out how wide the sashing pieces need to be, relative to the widths of the frames.

I believe you can do this!
Thanks, Sewbizgirl. I never thought of blowing it up. I blew it up and I can see exactly how it's put together.

bkay
Old 01-19-2018, 06:18 PM

If the fabric panel was by Moda, did you look at their website of free patterns? Or try emailing them with the picture to see if they actually designed the pattern to go with the panel?
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM

You could line up the dark blue edges with the one above and below. Make the center pale blue wider. In other words, make those 3 blocks all the same width. Change the width of the "center" strip between the two small blocks.

Lay out the blocks and strips to make sure you like how it looks.

Hope I described that OK.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM

I'm with Rhonda K. Widen that center light blue so the dark blue corner lines up with the dark blue corners above and below, then your vertical sash can be one long strip.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:38 PM

It looks like it could be pieced in sections, rather than all rows. Piece the two top rows -stars and small squares- in crosswise rows, then pieced the center section, big blocks and center smaller squares, in 3 vertical rows, then the lower squares and stars in crosswise rows. Sew all sections together. Good luck!