Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from Rochester, NY >

Hi from Rochester, NY

Hi from Rochester, NY

Old 01-20-2018, 07:14 AM

Default Hi from Rochester, NY

I never picked up a needle until retiring in 2003. I was given a sewing machine which I eventually busted trying to remove thread from below the bobbin--this occurred about every other time I used the machine. Each time I had to remove the plate and often needed to turn the machine upside down in order to continue my sewing. I was determined to learn how to sew and thanks to the Internet (also new to me) I saw that JoAnn Fabrics offered lessons on how to make a quilt. OMG, just learning how to put a knot at the end of your thread was awesome; and, by holding the thread in back of the sewing machine needle resolved my problem with the thread binding below the plate.

I do love the Internet for learning new things. It's hard to stay in one place--there is so much out there. I tend to bounce around from one thing to another. I had purchased a crochet kit for a baby afghan; after 25+ years I decided to give it a try. The first three panels were different in length. I started over again--I was beginning to get the hang of it. I finished four panels this time and ran out of yarn and had to purchase new yarn. I could not match the color white that came with the kit and had to start over again. I finally finished my first baby afghan.

All of a sudden we have or about to have six great grand kids. I am having to learn how to crochet all over again so it's back to the Internet on how to crochet baby booties. Of course, I decided it would be fun to make each a quilt so it's back to quilting I go. I purchased a new sewing machine last year and have learned how to make button holes, how to use the automatic needle threader, and so much more.

I surely envy those of you who started to do these things at such a young age! My mom was so busy washing, ironing, feeding all twelve of us--I think she thought it was faster to do it herself, that we might get caught in the washing machine wringer, burned by the iron or forget to unplug it, set the stove on fire, etc. In other words, we were all spoiled rotten, but we were always clean, our cloths pressed and our parents gave us plenty of love.

Lucie

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-20-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: PM
Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Power Poster

Hi Lucie, and welcome! Hope you find lots of fun info here!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

Hi Lucie, Welcome! Your Mom sounds like mine. She did everything herself! I grew up in Utica and most of my family is still there.
Nobody in my family quilted. I'm the first! My Mom knits but she never taught me. The lady I babysat for did
Old 01-20-2018, 08:03 AM

Welcome to the board, Lucie
What ever you need to know about quilting (and a lot of other topics) someone here can likely provide answers...just ask.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Anything you want to learn is on the net and spoiled rotten is a treasure that time cannot erase.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
are you a member of any guilds in the area?
Old 01-20-2018, 04:05 PM

Welcome from NY. I went to College at Nazareth.Happy quilting.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:20 PM

I also tend to jump around from one link to another on the Internet. I grew up on a farm and had plenty of chores from the time I was 5 or 6. I cooked full meals by the time I was 12. My sister never had the cooking chores so she was slower learning to cook. However, now at 71, I don't want to cook just for hubby and me, but my sister loves to cook. Go figure! By the way, welcome from the beautiful mountains of western NC.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:53 PM

Welcome, Lucie, from S. California....Congratulations on your great grandchildren. Wow...six of them....how exciting. Enjoy yourself as you explore and learn and grow. This is the place to be for all of that. Crafters on the board are amazing....
Old 01-20-2018, 10:57 PM

Hi Lucie and welcome to the Board. It's really easy to spend hours here without realizing it.