Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Question... >

Binding Question...

Binding Question...

Old 01-29-2018, 05:48 PM

Default Binding Question...

This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if you could make this work some how..

My question is can you have one color binding on the top and another color on the back? I tried to figure this out if it could be done but can't think of a way to do this..

I am making some table runners for Valentines Day, and for the backing I am using a preprinted runner..

I really don't know where I got them from I think there were in a box that I inherited from my friend when she passed away. I have about 25 of them, so thought I would use then so you could turn the runner over and you could use it for everyday. The only thing is the Valentines Day runner is in pinks and whites and red where the back design is green, beige, black, and some brown and colors like that. So pink or red or white would be great for the front but not so much for the back print anyway if anyone knows if this can be done please let me know. If not I will just have to go with red, pink, white.. Thanks
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I would think that if you had some striped fabric you could do it, but it might be tricky getting it to straight on. Another way might be to sew two colors together, but I am afraid that you'd still be stuck with the same situation.

Good luck. I hope you can do it.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

Yes you can!

It takes some fiddling with the measurements and then stitching to get your seam to land right on the fold between the back and front.

Here's a link that I keep to help me when I do it. I don't keep to their measurements, adjusting according to how wide of a binding I want to have showing. I do a trial run with some scrap fabrics, until I have the look I want and then go for the actual ones I want to use.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Two-Tone-Quilt-Binding/

But it can be well worth the effort and really makes for an impressive finish of a quilt.

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-29-2018 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:08 PM

I found this tutorial...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Two-Tone-Quilt-Binding/
Old 01-29-2018, 07:35 PM

I like this. Going to have to try it. Fun to mix things up and do something I haven't done before!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 PM

Seam equal width strips of the two binding fabrics, each twice the width of the finished binding.
Press seam one way, then the other way, and you should be able to fold the two strips wrong sides together and press again. Open up and fold each edge to about 1/4" from the inside center seam, just about lining up with the seam allowance; press.
You now have your binding ready to sew on. Having the seam pressed ahead of time helps keep it straight.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:30 PM

There is an older book written by Anita Murphy. Google and you will get several books listed by her. She developed the reversible binding technique back in the 1980's
Old 01-29-2018, 08:37 PM

You could definitely do it as though you were making a flange type binding 2 colors.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:03 PM

Thanks everyone I am going to give it a try, hope it works..
Old 01-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Seems I remember sometime ago there were instructions in the tutorial section on how to do this.